defrost problems

I have a 1995 Chevy C1500 with no air going to the defrost. Lots of air going to vents and floor when those areas are selected. I replaced the actuator, but the air is still being diverted away from the dash to the
floor board vent. I have looked for an unattached vacuum hose, but no luck yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
does the selector door move freely when disconected from acctuator? if not something proboblt fell down in there through the vent
the selector door does try to open but it doesn't open all the way, just a little. thanks for replying!
i have never taken off the dash before. is there a website or a manual to help me do this?? i'm clueless on how to even start taking the dash apart. thanks for any help!
a service manual you can get at the local librairy (most of the time will help you step by step)