Details on steering column reassembly

Oops- I failed to follow my own rules of disassembly!

1990 K1500 350, AT, tilt wheel

Does anyone have access to a detailed schematic of the upper portion of the steering column? I have reassembled the column up to the turn signal switch and have one part I can't quite figure out and my two manuals have poor reproductions to identify the part. Do any of the cd-roms have pics that someone could send me of only the upper portion of the steering column?

The part I have left appears to be a sliding lever. It has a rounded flat end, a slot in the middle, and then a thick rounded end at the other side. I thought the slot went over the peg on the end of the turn signal switch with the fat end up against the turn signal switch and the flat end down at the tilt portion of the column. But no fit!

Thanks for any help! Tim

-- ----- Tim Urbin Bluff City, TN

Reply to
Tim Urbin

I can picture that part in my head but as to where it goes? sorry The Haynes manual is no help either

As a last resort, if you have a self-serve junk yard nearby like Pick-a-part or Pick-n-pull try them..but they may just be Calif phenomenon

Reply to
ken

Tim,

I think the part you are describing is the bright/dim actuator. If I am correct, this is the part that actuates the bright/dim switch near the bottom of the steering column when you pull on the turn signal lever. I am pretty sure it is. It's the part that I always have problems with. If I recall correctly, the fat end does go in facing the turn signal lever end, but is behind it. It isn't actually attached to anything, it just rests in the assembly. It is possible to fit it in there wrong too. The other end of the thing pushes a metal rod that travels down the steering column to the bright /dim switch.

Hope that helps. I usually have to try it a few times I get it right...

Good Luck, Thom

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Thom:

That does make sense. I will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

Here is a picture of the part you are talking about. It sits between the high/low beam actuator rod, and the lever that is attached to the signal light lever.

You get a good view, because the column cover is broken. By the way, you will have to dis-assemble the column a bit, that piece has to be installed "with" the upper plastic housing.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks, Ian! That is what I needed. Are there other pictures like this available?

Thom pointed me in the right direction and I disassembled the column back to that point yesterday and, based on that picture, made a pretty good guess on the placement.

Thanks again to both of you for the help.

Along these lines, do any manuals provide better pictures of the assembly of different systems? Do the original GM shop manuals show better drawings? I've read comments on the available cd-roms but have been hesitant to buy if the pictures/drawings are the same low quality as Chilton and Haynes manuals.

Any suggestions on better, helpful manuals? From now on, I think I will try to take digital pictures of how things are put together as I disassemble them (or maybe just do a close-up video of it). It never fails that when I make a "mental note" of where parts go, I get sidetracked from a project for a couple of weeks and when I come back to it, my "mental note" was erased! :-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

Yep, that's the little booger! Glad ya got 'er straightened out...

Reply to
Dirty White Boy