Did I ruin my engine ???

'02 2500HD 4x4 with 6.0L gas engine.
Inadvertantly put in about 5 gallons of old, yellowed gas from another vehicle that had been sitting idle for about a year. No doubt had water in
it too.
2 days later, the 2500HD wouldn't start in the morning and making very scary ($?) clanging noises. After many, many attempts, truck finally started.
Truck runs fine now (still sometimes hard to start though) but there is a VERY distinct pinging noise in the engine.
Friends tell me that's the sound of the lifters, and that even though the sound is concerning to me, no harm is being done to the engine. When all the bad gas runs it's course through the engine, everything should return to normal.
When I first put the bad gas in the truck, it was about half full of clean gas. I then filled it up with additional clean gas with the intent of diluting the bad gas. I also added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and a bottle of "fuel preservative". At this writing, that tank was down to about 3 gallons remaining and I just filled it up again with 23 gallons of Chevron Supreme.
Still making the pinging noise.
Can anybody here help me with explaining what might be going on with my engine, and am I ruining it by continuing to drive it like this?
Thanks in advance for any help...
Mike Tucson, AZ
Add pictures here
βœ–
Is it still under warranty? If so,just play dumb and take it in.I`m sure it`s not lifter noise your hearing.Just a low octane ping.
Add pictures here
βœ–

As a Service manager for a manufacturing co. I can see stuff like this coming a mile away. I've seen it all and expect it all.
Please don't do this.
db
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, I dumped two bottles of "HEET" into an almost full tank of gas. I'm going to burn off about a quarter of a tank, then add a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ...
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
--WebTV-Mail-2715-1937 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
You would argue with a customer,and tell them they did it themselves? That`s good management skills.
--WebTV-Mail-2715-1937 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-2715-1937--
Add pictures here
βœ–
I don't argue. I tell them like it is and I don't care. Do we owe you something?
db
You would argue with a customer,and tell them they did it themselves?<BR>That`s good management skills.<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P><FONT color=#0000ff>1/4 Mile Junkies </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
What if the customer we telling the truth?You would never know!
Add pictures here
βœ–
I think service managers need to practice being tactful and apply a little finesse. Customers like dealing with a guy who is a little bit of a diplomat. I wonder how your boss might respond if you told him "I don't care." I think he just might tell you that you made a wrong career choice. Yes, you do owe us something! You owe us courtesy and realistic explanations of your diagnoses. When a customer detects that "I don't care" attitude, they start shopping for a better mechanic but worse than that, they tell their friends about their experiences. I hope you're not a guy that I ever have to deal with.
You would argue with a customer,and tell them they did it themselves? That`s good management skills.

1/4 Mile Junkies

Add pictures here
βœ–
when it comes to service advisors, i have a good one. so good that when she left one dealer to another, i hunted her down and now she has my business. she has always been straight up and went the extra 2 miles for me and all her customers. in fact she is the one i went to FIRST before buying new trucks, and she would tell me the problems she has seen and if i should wait. she even has gone as far as to tell me if i buy an extended warranty what to get and not to get. she in my book if the best, and i will follow her to another dealer if she goes. reason she left the dealer i started using her ta is that they were more concerned bout makin money and moving customers and really didnt care bout them. that was at a chevy dealership, now she is at a gmc/cad/dealer. again she is the best so yes there are a few good service writers out there, or at least one.
Add pictures here
βœ–

scary
the
of
gallons
Supreme.
It's more likely a noisy injector or two. They can sound a lot like noisy lifters. Chevron Techron cleaner might help or you might have to have a pro clean them. I'd change the filter, too. H
Add pictures here
βœ–

Snip
There are additives to get water out of gasoline. One is called "Heat." You can buy it almost anywhere car stuff is sold. I second the "change the filter" advice. And, urge you not to do it again:)
Al Also in Tucson
Add pictures here
βœ–

I second the Heat product, I've used this a lot years ago when we used to get a lot of water ridden gas in the early 80's. I believe it comes in a yellow bottle and simply says HEAT on it.
Brian
Add pictures here
βœ–
There are 2 different bottles of heat.(or last I checked) Red and yellow.Yellow can burn out O2 sensors.Stick with the red bottle.
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's the one I used. Red bottle, called "Iso-HEET"
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
Okay guys ... I have another question: Assuming the clicking noise I hear *is* the lifters (and it probably is) Why am I hearing it? I mean, I assume I'm hearing it because they're not being lubricated they way they should (??) and if so, why would that be a result of putting bad gas/water in the fuel? What's the correlation?
Curious mechanical minds want to know...
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–

There is no correlation. That's why I suggested checking the injectors, which 'can' sound like lifters. The correlation there should be obvious. H
Add pictures here
βœ–
I would check the injectors, but that involves taking a lot of stuff apart to get to them, and right now, I can't afford the time to do that. I did use a mechanics stethescope, and the sound is strongest from lower down on the engine. Probably about a foot lower down from where the injectors are. Around where the exhaust headers are (I think)
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–

If you checked the injectors with a stethescope and found no difference between them, then you eliminated that possibility. Maybe you have a cracked manifold or gasket. They also can make ticking noises. H
Add pictures here
βœ–
H, This whole thing started about 2 days after I threw bad gas in the tank. Is there a way that could've caused a cracked manifold or gasket?
Thanks
Mike

apart
cracked