Die, power window switch, DIE!

Life sucks, and so do the power window switches in my 1997 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 two-door. I pressed the "down" section of the 6-prong illuminated beveled switch for the driver's side window and it
shorted out---- tripping the circuit breaker every few seconds. I used my Bowie knife to pry the switch off the door and cut the red wire (which was hot to touch: thank Dan'l Boone I had the knife).
Damn odd thing, -NONE- of the on-line auto parts ordering catelogs show the correct switch: for example, Rock Auto shows a switch that is fundamentally different.
Now there are two switches attached to the wire harness, one for "Up" and one for "Down," since I cannot find a replacement switch.
Why does the universe hate me so?
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

Rock Auto was good for a mirror switch for me, are you sure you looked it up right? Might wanna look around and get the AC delco # then start with that.
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:22:04 -0400, "Martin Riddle"

You mean, am I an idiot who has made the same mistake eight or nine times?

None of the switches listed in eight on-line catalogs for all years for the Tahoe, Suburban, and Blazer match what's on my vehicle. The on-line stores appear to be using the same catalog database and the same suppliers.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

Add pictures here
βœ–

I wasn’t implying that.
Perhaps 97 is a mishmashed year for parts. 95 is the first year for the body style change. 96 I believe added a passenger side air bag. I don’t think 97 is that much different. Was this the last year for the 2dr?
The switches come on an assembly. Does it look like this? <http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk 68787> Dorman # 901048
This is what is in my 95 2dr.
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:14:26 -0400, "Martin Riddle"

Greetings again, and thank you again. The image (your link) is nothing like what's in my vehicle, even though that is what the on-line catalogs show as being correct. Hilarious, ain't it? It just cracks me up. None of the switches on that assembly look like the switches on my 1997 Tahoe, and the assembly doesn't fit in the Tahoe--- there's just a rectangle beveled switch with a concave arrow pointing down, and a convex arrow pointing up. It looks like the 1988 Chevy pickup's power window switch, only with one more connector.
Maybe I'll just take it to a dealer and have the dealer worry about getting the correct switch.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

Odd indeed. Dealer would know hopefully. If not there should be a GM number on the switch, Or you could try to see if it was a 98 or some other s10 switch that was substituted instead..
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:07:05 -0600, Desertphile

For the past 60+ days I have been trying to find a replacement switch with no luck at all. The best I can do is buy a five-prong switch that looks like the dead switch I have in my vehicle, and hope it fits and works the same.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

I might have missed it, but have you tried Ebay yet?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:37:58 -0600, "Nightcrawler"

Yes.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–
Desertphile wrote:

Could you possibly post a pic of your old switch online? Or the GM part number on it? How many switches do you have on the drivers side?
I can only think of 4 switches that GM used from 1995 through 2003. Most of them use the same switch assemblies for two and 4 door, they just don't have the two rockers for the missing windows installed.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I take it that it does not look like this:
http://www.directauto.com/images/products/main/SWi1036.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
This one looks like an S-10 model:
http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/the-25306/new-GM--power/Detail
Any of these two warm?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:07:41 -0600, "Nightcrawler"

No; the only explanation I can think of is that my 1997 Chevy Tahoe isn't a 1997 Chevy Tahoe, even though the door sticker says it is and even though it looks like one. Maybe it's a Tiwan knock-off.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

Hi! It does not--- which amuses me. None of the on-line catalogs show the same switch that is in the vehicle. The switch in my Tahoe looks like the one in GMC pickups in the late 1980s, but the switch I have has six conductors and the GMC switches have five.
http://holysmoke.org/temp/s1.jpg
http://holysmoke.org/temp/s2.jpg
I have purchased a five-conductor ("five prong") switch and I'll make that work. Seems to me one only needs three wires to make a power window go up and down, and four if one wants the switch illuminated.
Automobile manufactures should be making cars less complicated, not more complicated. I like hand-powered windows.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–

Try these:
:http://tinyurl.com/y9hntw5
http://tinyurl.com/ybre9z4
If that won't fly, make your own:
http://www.a1electric.com/switches2.htm
Do you have an owners manual with schematics?
It might be possible to install a 5 wire switch depending on how the windows are wired. Though, that's a mighty big "might".
Add pictures here
βœ–
Desertphile wrote:

If those are the switches your truck has in it there is a good reason why the parts lists don't show it. That is NOT a GM switch assembly. The factory Tahoe window switches mount in the armrest assembly not on the face of the door panel. They also use a plug/socket connection not soldered wires, And the surround matches the door panel with the switch itself being smoke gray.
That is an aftermarket kit that uses the GM style switch face. I have seen them sold in various catalogs.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:03:33 -0500, "Steve W."

Ah, thank you: I never thought of that. The switches do go to a nylon connector, but I would have to take the door appart to plug them back in if I unpluged them. When the five-prong switch comes I will use a multimeter to figure out how to wire it in. At the moment I just short out the wires if I want to raise and lower the window.
Far better to have a handle one can crank.
--
http://desertphile.org
βœ–
Desertphile wrote:

The only problem then is that the crank handles on those years were a PIA to get to when you're in the seat.
Those door panels come off REAL easy. If it were mine I would probably visit a salvage yard and get a replacement set of panels and switches. Probably take about 30 minutes to swap both sides.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
βœ–