Diff fluid in a ziplock bag

My friend recently was telling me about a trail repair solution for replacing the fluid in your diff. He claims that if you ever need to replace your diff fluid in a pinch you can use a large ziploc bag
filled with fluid, place it in the cover and bolt it back on. The gears will tear open the bag once they start to turn. Is this a feasable idea? It seems to me that the plastic could cause the gears to bind. -Ledfoot
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:51:30 +0000, Ledfoot wrote:

That sounds like an insanely bad idea. Under what circumstances would you need to change your differential fluid roadside?
I can only imagine what clumped up (or even melted) plastic bag remnants would do you the differential, especially if you had a Posi rear end.
When your friend changes his oil, does he remove the filter and crank the motor until all of the oil drains out? That can save valuable minutes and wear and tear on the oil drain plug.
-Steve

Yea you can do this but it is only in cases where you can not get the fill plug out and have no provisions to change the cover to one with a fill plug. It is considered a temp fix and the diff should be cleaned out when home. But to answer your question, yes it can be done (have done it) but it should be avoided if possible. The gears do not mesh with that much contact area (only about 3/4 of the surface area of the teeth mesh so it will just grind the bag down).
mark

As he said it is a TRAIL REPAIR. Fits in with using 4-5 batteries and a pair of jumper cables and a coat hanger to weld a cracked frame, or using soap to seal the gas tank, or whittling a hunk of wood to fit in a hole in the crankcase or oil pan to hold the oil in. All are temporary repairs to get you back out to a place to do the proper repairs. And yes they all work.
Steve

I've seen the baggie trick done on junk yard wars. How does soap fix the gas tank? I really want to learn how to do that one! And how far in could you safely go into an oil pan with a stick before worrying? 1"? I'm thinking about the "front" shallower part of the pan.
~KJ~
<<<<<or whittling a hunk of wood to fit in a hole in the crankcase >>>>>
That sounds crazy........but last year my block heater blew out where it mounts in the frost plug hole, of course I was in the middle of nowhere, I wish I would have thought of that back then....Rico.