Diff fluid leak

Just drove my 98 sub k1500 out home to NW Il last night. Didn't notice anything wrong but today while cleaning the slop and mess out of the garage found a big puddle of differential fluid. Started looking at the diffs and
didn't see anything leaking at the axles or the shafts. Peeked under the hood and fluid is all up the side of the radiator, on top of the splash guard, on top of steering gear etc, but I can't see anything from where it's coming from. It's going in to the shop tomorrow but wondering if anyone has an idea. Larry
"jdoe" wrote

garage
it's
has
I'm going to take an educated guess that it will turn out to either be the left front axle seal....or possibly the vent. It's not un-common for both to leak....usually the vent will really throw fluid all over the place, especially if it comes right out. There is a bulletin kicking around somewhere, I can't find it at the moment, but the advice is to remove the vent, clean it up, and wrap the threads of the vent with teflon tape in order to provide a bit of a locking action to the threads when it's re-installed.
Ian
Thanks, I'm kinda thinkin' along these lines too. I couldn't see any traces around the usual suspects, axles, shaft, etc, it just looks like someone puked diff. fluid up and over the top. Also conditions were similar. VERY cold start in hotel and only 1/4 mile to freeway. I nursed it but....you know chicago drivers. Anyway I kept speed down but meanwhile while it had been parked the wind and snow were howling and the there had been freezing rain prior to temp plummeting to something below zero (around -5). I'll check my mitchell on demand for a pub on it too. but thanks for the input guys I think my theory jives with yours. While it's in I'm going to have the dealer go through it for me flush trans, diffs, and transfer case. It's too blasted cold and filthy to crawl around in my garage and I want to establish a good relationship with the local dealer (you never know when you'll need an ally) and they seem to be very good people. If this happened in less sloppy weather I'd do it but I just don't care to or have the time. Larry

and