Diff question

He seems to run in cycles. Gotta be a full moon.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Makes it a lot easier to change the pinion shim, don't you know! Press, what press:)

Obviously, he's never been inside a Dana either. Will never forget my first one. Some Dodge dealer left the case spreader on for a few weeks while they waited for parts. They were unwilling to try to set it up so they brought it to my shop. They loved to farm out the dogs.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I can tell how many axle you havenot setup. Heck you probaly never even knew about spreader or the the safe spread limt either. I was likely working on those axle before you even knew what a 4x4 was. BTW my first 4x4 was a 67 chevy when it was about 3 years old but I had been around them longer. In 67 they were spicer and eaton then in 70's they used all spicer in GM's and most Dodges and Fords. Old scout (had one of those too)had D44 front and rear and the list goes on as i worked with them. Tell you what , you need to get a life because I used to beable to about setup one up blindfolded (almost anyway) and sometimes gearsets were even marketed on pinion heads in offest from spec depth and if so you could adjust shim pack on pinion accordingly and get it right first try more often than not. You beleive what you want but i have been in far more rear axle than you ever have or likely ever will. My fovorite is the 10.5 GM with removable pinion cage which makes pinion depth setting a snap to do because you simple shim the cage and never mess with pinion bearing preload once it is set (BTW, I still have my depth indicator and backlash dial gage. Right now they are gathering a bit of dust but they are not rusty.)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You ARE nuts. Completely nuts. So you had a 4X4 when you were 3, but were around 4X4's for a lot longer! How the hell did that happen. Wait, I don't think I want to know. And, you have built more rear ends than I have. What exactly do you base that on? How could you possibly know how many rear ends I set up?

When you have the time to get to a service manual for a Dana 60 or 44. Look at the pictures and see how to set one up. Then be a man and apologize. My statement was, "Most Dana 60 fronts are going to have 4.10 gears, and they are a real pain to change." I'll stand by that. Prove me wrong or apologize for saying they were not hard to set up. Or at least admit you have no idea and just like to PRETEND that you know something about axles.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Something for you to remember:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Makes you wonder what he mangles when it's time to change the shims under the differential side bearings...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hey............"When you setup a D44/50/60, you first do it with zero preload (and speader relaxed or removed) and get depth and backlash correct THEN you add about 020 preload depending on factory spec ( or about 010 to each side) and recheck it."

Poor guy, he'd be there for weeks!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Funny that, 14 lines down you describe using a hammer for installation.

So, you admit to not having your ducks in a row...

Ummm... this pretty much applies to setting up any rear axle, not just Dana's.

Okay, you don't own the proper tools. No surprise.

Who you calling a "hammer mechanic?"

here's where it gets good...

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a rear pinion bearing and hone it out until it's a slip fit and keep that bearing as a set up bearing?

Another tool you don't own? What am I saying, I don't own a "puleer" either?

And it's apparent that you don't know most of them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I think he's been "hit" by the shop manuals a few too many times.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Right. There is no way in hell anyone but you was ever trained in rear axle overhaul. Those OEM factory training centers are just full of people sitting around pulling their puds.

Stupid logic fueled by feelings of insecurity.

The ride home from the hospital where you were hatched doesn't count.

In-between inventing GPS?

You maybe want to consider removing the blindfold now.

Published in every 10 cent Chilton manual since they began printing them.

Again, utterly ridiculous.

Why would anyone "mess with pinion bearing preload once it is set" anyway?

I still have my appendix. Your point?

We'll all sleep better knowing that.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

He's counting the 9 months when he was a little Snoball in the womb.

Too late...

Snojob invented GPS, he's been using it to track your every move.

Since when are any of Snojibber's posts based on 'knowing?'

It's gonna be a long wait.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Bad for him, good for us.