Diff question

Page 2 of 2
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Hey............"When you setup a D44/50/60, you first do it with zero preload (and speader relaxed or removed) and get depth and backlash correct THEN you add about 020 preload depending on factory spec ( or about 010 to each side) and recheck it."
Poor guy, he'd be there for weeks!
Ian

Bad for him, good for us.

I can tell how many axle you havenot setup. Heck you probaly never even knew about spreader or the the safe spread limt either. I was likely working on those axle before you even knew what a 4x4 was. BTW my first 4x4 was a 67 chevy when it was about 3 years old but I had been around them longer. In 67 they were spicer and eaton then in 70's they used all spicer in GM's and most Dodges and Fords. Old scout (had one of those too)had D44 front and rear and the list goes on as i worked with them. Tell you what , you need to get a life because I used to beable to about setup one up blindfolded (almost anyway) and sometimes gearsets were even marketed on pinion heads in offest from spec depth and if so you could adjust shim pack on pinion accordingly and get it right first try more often than not. You beleive what you want but i have been in far more rear axle than you ever have or likely ever will. My fovorite is the 10.5 GM with removable pinion cage which makes pinion depth setting a snap to do because you simple shim the cage and never mess with pinion bearing preload once it is set (BTW, I still have my depth indicator and backlash dial gage. Right now they are gathering a bit of dust but they are not rusty.) ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

rethink
You ARE nuts. Completely nuts. So you had a 4X4 when you were 3, but were around 4X4's for a lot longer! How the hell did that happen. Wait, I don't think I want to know. And, you have built more rear ends than I have. What exactly do you base that on? How could you possibly know how many rear ends I set up?
When you have the time to get to a service manual for a Dana 60 or 44. Look at the pictures and see how to set one up. Then be a man and apologize. My statement was, "Most Dana 60 fronts are going to have 4.10 gears, and they are a real pain to change." I'll stand by that. Prove me wrong or apologize for saying they were not hard to set up. Or at least admit you have no idea and just like to PRETEND that you know something about axles.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Something for you to remember:)
Al

He's counting the 9 months when he was a little Snoball in the womb.

Too late...

Snojob invented GPS, he's been using it to track your every move.

Since when are any of Snojibber's posts based on 'knowing?'

It's gonna be a long wait.

What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Right. There is no way in hell anyone but you was ever trained in rear axle overhaul. Those OEM factory training centers are just full of people sitting around pulling their puds.

Stupid logic fueled by feelings of insecurity.

The ride home from the hospital where you were hatched doesn't count.

In-between inventing GPS?

You maybe want to consider removing the blindfold now.

Published in every 10 cent Chilton manual since they began printing them.

Again, utterly ridiculous.

Why would anyone "mess with pinion bearing preload once it is set" anyway?

I still have my appendix. Your point?

We'll all sleep better knowing that.

I think he's been "hit" by the shop manuals a few too many times.

Funny that, 14 lines down you describe using a hammer for installation.

So, you admit to not having your ducks in a row...

Ummm... this pretty much applies to setting up any rear axle, not just Dana's.

Okay, you don't own the proper tools. No surprise.

Who you calling a "hammer mechanic?"

here's where it gets good...

<hack> Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a rear pinion bearing and hone it out until it's a slip fit and keep that bearing as a set up bearing?

Another tool you don't own? What am I saying, I don't own a "puleer" either?

And it's apparent that you don't know most of them.

Here we go nothing. GM has never been generous with axle housing cross sectional thickness vs Dana. THe D50 is based of the D60 housing duh.... Next you are going to say that a 10 bolt is the match of a D60 in weight capacity. WHen you rate the weight capacity of a axle it is limited by its weakest link. If it is rated at say 3800 lbs it do not destruct at 4200 lbs but it has a lot less reserve capacity. ALso when you lift a vehicle and you bigger tires and offset wheels you change the load centers relative to axle and in effect reduce axle capacity because of added leverage against it. Many do not even begin to consider this though. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Well I am not like most people and I don't like big tires.. I want this 4x4 for general use, and like the looks of the older 4x4's. I may fall into a mud hole by accident from time to time LOL .. I won't go bigger than 33"-34" tires.. and on 16" rims, that is not big at all.. I just like the look of trucks with matching parts.. it looks stupid with this little diff in the front and transport like diff in the back

Looks and what you need are to different matters. If you limit tire size to 33 inches or less with not offset wheel and no locker up front, the 10 bolt should hold up fine for your usage. If you plan to use a locker with 33's or more i would suggest a axle upgrade. Plus if you go to a D60 just for looks you will pay a weight penalty and have a lose of front axle diff clearance too. If you plan to hang a snow plow on it one day you would do well consider a stronger front axle if for no other reason than housing strength. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com