Differences between 700R4 and 4L60E - question for transmission gurus

I've worked on everything automotive that I've ever owned, but there are 2 things I've stayed away from, automatic transmissions, and differentials. I think the reason I've stayed away from them is
because of the standard belief that they are too complex and are best left to the professionals with experience in that area. Over the past year I've spent nearly $2500 on labour alone for differential setup/repair, and now I've blown up a 700R4. I've got a 700R4 core to work on, and I've read generic info, so in theory I know how automatic transmissions work, but there is still that "fear factor" around their complexity. I'm going to buy some books/manuals/videos to help myself through a rebuild.
I've been surfing the web for videos and books on how to re-build transmissions, and was hoping to find one resource that covers both the 700R4 and the 4L60E together. No such luck, it seems they are always sold seperately. I thought that they were pretty much the same except for the electronics. I have 2 trucks, a 92 with the 700R4 and a 96 with the 4L60E, and I'm trying to make an educated decision on which manuals/videos to purchase.
If the 4L60E is exactly the same as the 700R4 with some added electronics, then I can probably get away with only buying for the 4L60E and the data will be valid enough to get me through a 700R4 as well. Can someone give me an idea of just how different these transmissions are from one another?
Any input is appreciated. SuperDave
SuperDave wrote:

They are the same except for valve body. I would suggest getting a 700R4 book because it will cover the internal of the 4L60 while covering the mechanics of the 700R4's valvebody and govenor.
--

www.thesnoman.com

Just last year I succesfully rebuilt the 4l60E in my 93 pu. If your above the average shade tree mechanic and have the time (cannot stress time enough go slow) you can rebuild one yourself. I made a fixture to hold mine in my cheapO engine stand and it rotates etc this helps. Dial indicator is a necessity. These were the only special tools that I can think of, the tool that reforms the teflon seals on the input shaft is also needed. I didn't have one and like to never got it back together. I think that tool goes for appx $30. I have an extra 4L60e manual that I'll give you for the cost of shipping $5. Email me if intrested. Russ