Dirty Headlight

I have a 97 GMC truck (not that it matters), but my headlights are so dirty. I was told to use a rubbing compound on them to remove the film, but I wanted to get other opinions.
I know that I am not the only one with this probloem. :)

I've never been able to get the lenses very clear again once they yellow. I did try some polishing compound (rubbing compound would be too course) and it helps for awhile. They also never get completely clear again. When I can't stand it any longer I replace them.
Brian
one way to prevent this is to actually wax your lights like you do your paint, it will protect them from things that cause them to yellow
--
twins0203