Distributor alignment

Allright, doing a head gasket job and putting it all back together. I marked where the distributor was facing on the firewall before I took it all apart, and now when I'm putting it back together the distributor wont insert at that point.

Can anyone explain this? This is the proceedure described in the factory service manual, and I'm a bit at a loss. The engine was not turned in the slightest after the distributor mark was made.

Reply to
lberry

David Johnson

distributor

If you marked the position with the distributor in place and you are trying to install it and your aiming at the same point turn the rotor COUNTER CLOCKWISE about 1/4 " and it should drop in. The gear on the bottom has to rotate into place. Once in it should point at the mark.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've accounted for gear rotation when you insert it, trust me, I inserted it a million ways to sunday before posting. The oil pump drive blade sounds the likely candidate. In my fiddling I was able to move the full insertion point around, but I never understood how, and was never able to get it to the point where it would line up. Give it a shot tonight and see. Either way it's one of those things I'm baffled isn't in the manual.

Reply to
lberry

I`ve only had the distributor drop right in once. So what you need to do is easy. Get it as close as possible before it drops down.Have someone push on it while you tap the key or turn the motor by hand. This is a sure thing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It was the oil pump drive blade. I turned the rotor near the top of the gear engagement and gradually moved it over to the right orientation. It seemed like I could only move it 1/8 an increment at a time, then I'd have to disengage reinsert fully, move to the top turn and repeat.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
lberry

I've done distributor removal/install a lot and one tool I use is a long wide-bladed screwdriver. Mark the side of the shank or the handle and use it to position the slot in the oil pump shaft. I also use an old distributor cap that is marked with the cylinder numbers on the side and the top cut off (it's great for static timing). After putting the distributor back in, your engine should start within a couple of rotations.

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Mar 10, 2006, 5:48pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@toocoolforschool.org (lberry) It was the oil pump drive blade. I turned the rotor near the top of the gear engagement and gradually moved it over to the right orientation. It seemed like I could only move it 1/8 an increment at a time, then I'd have to disengage reinsert fully, move to the top turn and repeat. Thanks for the help.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~

Reply to
Rich B