Doc, others: trans temp gauge-- where to put sensor?

Vehicle is an 89 S10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, 4X4.
The instructions say to install the temp sensor for the gauge I just bought in the tranny pan by dropping the pan, drilling a hole, and installing the
bung there.
I already have a drain installed. It's too big to fit the sensor, and the hole is too big for me to replace that bung with this one. Besides, I welded it in place.
It was enough of a pain in the ass to put this bung in last time, what with the trans crossmember location and all, that I REALLY don't want to drop the trans pan again. Only about 3K miles on the trans since last service.
Anyone got input on where else I might be able to fit the bung? Doc- how did you do yours?
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com wrote:

threads matched like it was made for it.

Kat,
I put my sensor inline on the HOT line (line from trans to cooler). I did this by cutting about 1" out of the line (use a pipe cutter!), using a compression T-fitting. If you need the hardware I believe I have a spare compression T in my garage that should fit perfectly. If the sender doesn't fit the T, just go to Lowes and buy the appropriate NPT adapter.
Doc

side, just behind bellhousing) and screw in the sensor there. the plug is 1/8" NPT w/ a 11mm (iirc... it's been 2 years) head on it. it's where I have my sender. it gives a more weighted response than using the hot out line, though I'm considering (amongst my many projects) adding a sender to the hot line w/ a micro SPDT switch to switch between them.
-Bret

I like the hot as it tells me the absolute worst my AT is seeing. I never see above 160* (massive Hayden up front), so I know even if the cooler isn't doing a damn thing she isn't getting feed ATF hotter than 160*. I've been thinking along your lines lately and am planning to install a sender in the cold line to see just how cool she gets the ATF on a 90* day.
Doc
Thanks very much for the help, folks. I like the idea of two senders to one gauge, too.
Anyone know a part number for a sender?

Good deal. I have a spare 700R4 <actually the one that came out of the Blazer, destined for my Jeep> in the garage, so I'll check the threadpitch against the sensor.
Many thanks, folks!!

thought it was something like that. How'd you ground her?

I just finished putting in a Derale 13105 (10 row---3/4"x12x16) cooler for my Silverado/700R. I have some concerns this size cooler may over-cool the 700R, but haven't seen any specs indicating what that temp would be. I also plan to by-pass the cooler when cold weather comes back around... what's the coolest weather/temps [before by-passing] they should be used with? PS... it is inline with the radiator...
Thanks
probably want to start your own thread.
Short of arctic temperatures, it's not possible to overcool an AT.