Doc, others: trans temp gauge-- where to put sensor?

I put mine in the test port on the left side. It is an autometer and the threads matched like it was made for it.

Reply to
Eugene

Vehicle is an 89 S10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, 4X4.

The instructions say to install the temp sensor for the gauge I just bought in the tranny pan by dropping the pan, drilling a hole, and installing the bung there.

I already have a drain installed. It's too big to fit the sensor, and the hole is too big for me to replace that bung with this one. Besides, I welded it in place.

It was enough of a pain in the ass to put this bung in last time, what with the trans crossmember location and all, that I REALLY don't want to drop the trans pan again. Only about 3K miles on the trans since last service.

Anyone got input on where else I might be able to fit the bung? Doc- how did you do yours?

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

Kat,

I put my sensor inline on the HOT line (line from trans to cooler). I did this by cutting about 1" out of the line (use a pipe cutter!), using a compression T-fitting. If you need the hardware I believe I have a spare compression T in my garage that should fit perfectly. If the sender doesn't fit the T, just go to Lowes and buy the appropriate NPT adapter.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

you can also pull out the plug on the pressure test port (driver's side, just behind bellhousing) and screw in the sensor there. the plug is 1/8" NPT w/ a 11mm (iirc... it's been 2 years) head on it. it's where I have my sender. it gives a more weighted response than using the hot out line, though I'm considering (amongst my many projects) adding a sender to the hot line w/ a micro SPDT switch to switch between them.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

message

I like the hot as it tells me the absolute worst my AT is seeing. I never see above 160* (massive Hayden up front), so I know even if the cooler isn't doing a damn thing she isn't getting feed ATF hotter than 160*. I've been thinking along your lines lately and am planning to install a sender in the cold line to see just how cool she gets the ATF on a 90* day.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

thought it was something like that. How'd you ground her?

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

Good deal. I have a spare 700R4 in the garage, so I'll check the threadpitch against the sensor.

Many thanks, folks!!

message

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

Thanks very much for the help, folks. I like the idea of two senders to one gauge, too.

Anyone know a part number for a sender?

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

If you go easy on the pipe dope it'll ground itself right thru the transmission line/pan.

Doc

message

Reply to
"Doc"

I just finished putting in a Derale 13105 (10 row---3/4"x12x16) cooler for my Silverado/700R. I have some concerns this size cooler may over-cool the 700R, but haven't seen any specs indicating what that temp would be. I also plan to by-pass the cooler when cold weather comes back around... what's the coolest weather/temps [before by-passing] they should be used with? PS... it is inline with the radiator...

Thanks

Reply to
GC

probably want to start your own thread.

Short of arctic temperatures, it's not possible to overcool an AT.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com