dodge truck

i know this is a chevy truck site but i own a dodge truck and i am getting poor gas milage with my qaud cab 2004 ram it has a 5.7 hemi motor and it has

2000 miles on it will it get better ?i get from 8 to 12 mpg it is 4x4 and has a 5 speed automatic the rear end has3.55 gears any ideas?
Reply to
jabalees

Shep

All that horsepower isn't free ya know...

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

should have bought a chevy, would have gotten better mileage, a better truck, and spent less.

Reply to
mudmonkey

Hey man shoot over to alt.autos.dodge.trucks and post your question there. I know there are a lot of guys that will give you a hand.

Reply to
azwiley1

X-No-archive:yes

----------------------------------------------------- "Hemi" means "half".(look it up) Therefore you have 1/2 a truck and naturally it gets 1/2 the mileage.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Hate to disapoint you but that is about normal. Not much you can do. That engine is a poor match for a heavy truck because it makes it HP rating at high RPM?s and lack displacement for good low end torque and HP at a lower and more usable RPM in a heavy truck which results in the engine working harder at lower RPM?s and at reduced efficency because you cannot have low end stump pulling torque and a high RPM power peak on a 5.7 at the same time. It may play well in a lighter car but it will not do well MPG wise in that truck. Dodge "sold" that Hemi as being a solution when it is really not. Even dodge knows they messed up and are increasing the size of the engine and tuning to help things out.

Reply to
SnoMan

Be happy if you get 12mpg.

Reply to
Bill

I have to disagree, Sno... Dodge did the "hemi" because they knew hat the reputation of the early Hemi engines would sell trucks, plain and simple.. It's no more a Hemi like the early hemi engines than a Chevy Malibo is the same now as back in the muscle car days..

I've got a 99 ram with the ol' reliable 360 and it does everything we need it for..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Bill69" wrote: > Be happy if you get 12mpg.

And another thing dodge did away with the front axle disconnect on HD front axles in 03 (really stipid and no provisons to add lockout hubs either) so you are always dragging the differentail and driveshaft even in 2wd and that will cost to 1 to 2 mpg depending on tempature and driving conditions too(worse in cold weather)

Reply to
SnoMan