Does anyone know how to fix a Chevy horn?

I know this has been addressed many times, but I can't find the fix.
One of the two horns on my '00 Silv went out (as expected). I know I could just replace it with stock or aftermarket, but I remember some sort of fix
(even temporary).
There was one fix where you could spray a certain lubricant or something in the horn to get it to work? Does anyone know this fix?
Also, is there a permanent repair as opposed to replacement?
Thanks.
PS I've been told that replacing it will fix it. Obviously, I'm aware of that. I would like to know how to repair it.
~~AAJakeleg wrote:

You will have a better Chance of winning the MEGA millions lottery.
Donnot believe every WIVES TELL you hear

I believe that I stand a better chance of finding this fix that I heard about a few years back than winning the lottery.
I vaguely remember it involving lubricating a specific part of the horn mechanism. I am looking for specifics.
If you don't know the answer, that's OK too.

~~AAJakeleg wrote:

========================The following is intended in good will......... git pissed if you want.
.......... You asked fer a permanent repair....as apposed to replacement.
~random thoughts~ he wants something to last longer repaired......than it lasted before it was repaired. (new)
........ Your opening statement was that you couldn't "find the fix".
~random thoughts~ he can't find the fix........... he remembers a fix....... he was told replacing it would fix it........ he's confused....and so am i.
......... You stated..and i DO quote.... "I remember some sort of fix (even temporary)"
~random thoughts~ my cat was fixed....it wasn't temporary my dog was fixed...it wasn't temporary my wife was fixed..(whew)...thank goodness when i FIX a car......i NEVER intend for it to be temporary. However, i have many times temporarily patched, jerry rigged, and on one occasion used a wet booger to glue something to make it a temporary "repair".
~Suggestion~
read the first line in your post...... read the last 2 lines in your post.....
smoke a joint and decide if it's all really worth it after all..............is it.....really?
hopefully enlightening ~:~ MarshMonster ~hairspray fixed my hair.....maybe it'll work on his horn~
Ummm... thanks. That was funny.
Let me simplify: 1. I want to repair my horn myself. 2. I don't want to replace it. 3. I have heard that there is a standard "fix" for Chevy horns. 4. I have heard that this fix might be temporary and have to be repeated, which, to me, would be better than no fix at all or replacement.
That was a funny metaphysical analysis of a simple question though.
By the way, do you have a real answer?

Greetings,
I actually found his overblown non-answer quite amusing. However I have to say that anyone who would go to that much time and trouble to spew forth such a long-winded "metaphysical analysis" (good description!) of such a simple question seldom if ever has anything intelligent to say.
I, however, can answer your question simply: Sorry, but I don't know. But then again I wouldn't even have bothered to provide you with that reply if not for Marsha's bloviating!
Cheers - Jonathan

Indeed. Marsha is a funny one.

~~AAJakeleg wrote to Marsha

~RANDOM THOUGHTS~
1) Admiral character trait.
2) Now....don't be stubborn.
3) I've never heard that......but......sounds interesting.
4) I could find myself suscribing to that train of thought in an emergency situation.....but this reeeellly don't seem like no emergency.
ANSWER TO QUESTIONS ASKED ::
I have never heard of such a thing.
but......as is you seem to be a patient customer, and your temperate attitude is admirable...... I will investigate the symptom AND the requested repair technique..(as outlined by the customer).... and ......get back with you with what i find.
no charge.
~:~ Marsh Monster ~wanders if yer willing to Federal Express the part to him...... so's he can see what's broke on it........being as you didn't seem it necessary to post the findings of your diagnostics~
That sounds wonderful, and I am patient. Additionally, I willingly defer to those with greater knowledge.

~~AAJakeleg wrote:

================ Okee dokee then........
here's what we have so far.........
I called 2 dealer tech buds of mine....... they laughed.
I asked the guys at my shop........ they laughed.
I called a bud at another shop that has a nationally sindicated radio show.........he laughed.
I called a dude down to the ole salvage yard...... he laughed.
I'll now stop calling professionals.....but promise not to give up untill i've exhausted my googles.....which i ain't even tried yet. sorry......but i feel a google is gonna be a daunting and testing task on this particuler symptom....so's i'm waiting till the weekend. And.......googling ain't likely to get me laughed at.
^ ^ oo L O
As for deferring to those with greater knowledge........ don't we all.
~:~ marsh ~appreciates good humor and patients..... the combination often repairs some rediculous symptoms~
You have some laughing friends, don't you?
I am surprised something that has definitely been done before (even by people on this very thread) is so humorous to all these techs. You would think that some of them might share the principled spirit of repairing these stupid chevy parts in the face of the fact that it might be economically/temporally inefficient.
It's all about the challenge for me. I enjoy that. Call me crazy. Seriously, call me crazy.

~~AAJakeleg wrote:

============== I like a good challenge myself. I say we give'r a try....
So.......
you checked the fuse.....??
yeah..yeah...yeah..i know the other horn works!
you checked the fuse..!!...???
okee dokee..... so you don't "think" it's a fuse. then don't check them....we'll guess.
So....
you checked for current flow at the horn...!!...??...
yeah..yeah..yeah...i know the other horn works!
you checked for current at the horn..right..??..
okee dokee..... so you don't "think" it's a current problem. then don't check for it.....we'll guess some more.
So...... you stuck yer ear down there on it while someone tried to operate it.....didn't you..!!...???....
didn't you..???
huh..??
hmmmm......
(sip of crownroyal)
hmmmmm.....
(sip of crownroyal)
~~RANDOM THOUGHTS~~
he didn't ever say.......what he was want'n to repair on the horn......
he didn't Ever say....what he had checked on the system.......
i bet...he ain't checked it at all.......
hmmmm.......
(END RANDOM THOUGHTS)
(sip of crownroyal)
Yo Jake........ you wouldn't be willing to elaborate jest a little bit more on what yer try'n to "temporarily repair" on that horn of yern......would you?? You know.....maybe something along the lines of "i checked..and it's plugged in..and i went down to the ole AutoZonedOut store and got me one of them $2 test lights and it lit up reeeel nice at the connector... and i heard a slight buzzzz when i disconnected the other horn and my buddy Nubbs mashed the horn pad...""
or.......
yuh jest wanna wait and see how many hits i gits on horn repairs when i do my gooooogle...??
okee dokee..... we'll go that rout.... it's better challenge to see which repair fixes the unknown problem with the system...
and......
it'll make the thread longer too..
^ ^ * 0 L O
~:~ Marsh ~is off to googleland~
here's the fix find your local anti-gun pro abortion bleeding heart, apoxy him to your hood, attach a rope to his sweet spot, pull rope for noise.

Why would you expect one of them to go out?
I know I could

If it is a simple corrosion problem, giving it a good douche of WD-40 'might' free things up. If the points are worn out or burned, or if the coil is open, it will have to be taken apart and the points cleaned or the coil rewound. Hardly worth the trouble, IMO.

In the old days, I used to fix horns occasionally, but back then they were much easier to get apart. I don't know if it's even feasible (or possible) on more modern horns.
Dave
BEAUTIFUL!!!
A real answer. I thank you very much for that. I will give it a shot.
Do you per chance know how much a stock replacement horn would run me? That is what would determine whether all this trouble is worth it.

. . ============ ~~AAJakeleg wrote:

Troll
~:~ MARSHMONSTER ~:~
when I bought my k5 it had set for 2 years with out being started, the horns didn't work very well on it the sounded pretty sick. so I just sprayed a bunch of pb blast in side of them let it set . it didn't seem to help the almost 2 weeks latter w/ I hit the button while a car w/ pulling out in front of me. now the work like new not sure if this will help or not.
. . ============ ~~AAJakeleg wrote:

everything i came across and even some stuff that i figured out on my own.
again.......here it is......
To be honest with you i didn't spend a lot of time really searching for a repair because i figured that oem replacement was your most viable option to the laborious task of attempting a repair that would not only last.....but work.
~~~~~~~i found NOTHING.....sorry~~~~~~~
~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a hit off his homegrown......and goes perpendiculer~ it's a left margin sort of thread
Under 20 bucks. That's for a 99 Tahoe. Your mileage may very.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId 101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2009015&productId 09015&catalogId101
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId 101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2009019&productId 09019&catalogId101