Dome lights in 98 Suburban

The interior lights in my 98 Suburban don't come on when any of the doors are opened. The dome light button by the headlight switch works, and when I hit this button while the doors are open, the dome lights
will stay on while the door is open, even after I put the button back to the default position. Then, when I shut the door, the interior lights will stay on for a half minute or so before shutting off.
Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem would be appreciated.
Steve

What are you calling the default position? Normal use is OUT, to shut off the lights you push the button in.
-
Try pushing the button twice quickly, i.e., do not let the button pop out completely after the first time you push it in...
Franko

any of the

switch works,

dome lights