Don't aid the car thieves

Subject: Fwd: Fw: Your vehicle's VIN number
Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the
windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.
I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the th! ief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN # .
Father Time wrote:

Your WRONG... They also Request PROOF of OWNERSHIP.. Keep Reading

it is also ILLEGAL to cover it UP! The vin is needed for parking Tickets.. otherwise it GETS TOWED and Treated as a STOLEN CAR and u will have Towing CHARGES add to the price of the ticket !
if you think u want to go to all this trouble, JUST get a LOCKSMITH to to REKEY all the locks and the ignition!
Did u also Know that The original LOAN holder Also HAS The KEYS to your Vehicle.. THey get a set incase u DEFAULT on the loan!

no one wrote:

    Proof of Ownership, or paperwork from a lean holder giving the Legal Rights to Reposess the property. Most Finace Companys that finace used cars make you sign a disclaimer that you will NOT change the key cylinder codings (ie: must be coded as to the codes on the car).
    In the state of Ohio a non-visable VIN is subject to impoundment with out release untill the vin can be proven by an officer of the law. If NO Vin number can be found, the police agency that Impounded the vehical will escort it to the nearest crusher or shreader for destruction.
    If your trying to aviod the Repo-man, don't worry. There are Other ways we can Verify the VIN and repo the ride. Re-key the doors and we will get in. Change the ignition and we will get the cylinder to turn. Leave the park brake on in your FWD thats sitting dead, it will slide ride up on a roll back with a water and soap solution on your driveway that makes it so the tires slide with out screaching.
Charles Wrecker Driver, Mechanic, Repo-Man and a few other trades.
not only all of this-- but the VIN number is also stamped on the chassis.
Sorry-- if it's that big a deal, folks-- just rekey it.
Even then, it's not going to stop a thief who wants the car.
There are ways around a repo man as well. A friend of mine has been doing it for a while now. He likes the idea of cat and mouse i suppose. Said repo man always leaves pissed off. He is on his 4th recovery service now. Bank still didn't get the car.

The repo man isnt persistant enough evidently. Either that or hes just a plain bitch.

Cheryl and Rob wrote:

    First look at the facts here: The bank or Lean Holder legally owns the vehicle. To hide said property is a crime. Which is why I never feel bad taking what someone doesn't really own.
    I don't do the easy snatch and run Repo's like you see on TV. Im not out there with a sneaky pete (hidden wheel lift), or even a folding in bed sling/boom combo. Im not the Repo-man your neighbors see.
    Im the guy who will drive different vehicles and stalk the debtor until they slip up, and go to where the asset(s) are. Ill suriveil, stake out, bribe people to get the info I need on the asset(s). Once I have my Recovery Targeted, I will Get it. Even if it means having the Police cut the locks off a garage so I can get it.
    Really what it all comes down to is how much the Lean Holder is willing to spend to recover the asset(s). If they want to pay enough, not matter what it is, they will have it.
Charles
So-- how's your friend going to deal with the "Grand Theft Auto" charge?
Why doesn't he just pay for the car if he wants to keep it that bad?

Not all loan companies get duplicate keys for your car. usually they come drag it off and have keys made by a locksmith after the repo man returns it.