Dots on Windshield

I rode in a new Chevy Silverado today and noted that on the windshield behind the rear view mirror there is a sort of rectangular area about 8"
square of small dots. A small strip (about 1/4 inch wide) of these dots also run completely around the windshield. I asked the owner what they were and he had no idea. I think nearly all new vehicles have similar "dots" of one pattern or another.
Can someone please tell me what are these dots are for??
Big John wrote:

(black) material apparently applied to the windshield.
Big John wrote:

They do three things. One is that they hide the glass adhesives and interior edge of the lip that the glass is attached to from exterior view. The next thing they do is provide locater points for the robots that install the glass. If you look around the glass you will find small targets that the robot uses to position the glass.
And the last thing is that most also have location marks for the wipers on them as well. That is for those times you need to replace the wiper arms. Just locate them on the marks and tighten them down.
Now if you were looking at a few other models you might notice that they have also used the strips to hide the connections for defroster grids and the metallic coatings that serve as defrosters.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

I've got no problems with my Valentine One behind the dots in my work Chevy van. That's using a visor mount clipped to the headliner. The suction cup mount will not stick to the dots, need clean windshield for that. Easy Pass works fine behind the dots in my Yukon and Mustang GT
|I rode in a new Chevy Silverado today and noted that on the windshield | behind the rear view mirror there is a sort of rectangular area about 8" | square of small dots. A small strip (about 1/4 inch wide) of these dots | also run completely around the windshield. I asked the owner what they | were and he had no idea. I think nearly all new vehicles have similar | "dots" of one pattern or another. | | Can someone please tell me what are these dots are for??
Black dots around the window edges? This sounds like the black masking on the glass that prevents UV light from attacking the Adhesive that holds the windshield in place. The dots blend the masking into the rest of the windshield.
Cheers
that's the sensor for the rain sensing wiper system i believe.

The area behind the mirror is very simply a shade.
It covers the area that the sun visors don't.
hmmm...OK makes sense. a friend told me it was the rain sensor for the wipers..... if not... any idea where the sensor is located? Just curious.

Near the rear view mirror
G wrote:

On my wifes Lexus, it's a little box like affair behind th rear view mirror. Don't know about other makes.