Dots on Windshield

I rode in a new Chevy Silverado today and noted that on the windshield behind the rear view mirror there is a sort of rectangular area about 8" square of small dots. A small strip (about 1/4 inch wide) of these dots also run completely around the windshield. I asked the owner what they were and he had no idea. I think nearly all new vehicles have similar "dots" of one pattern or another.

Can someone please tell me what are these dots are for??

Reply to
Big John

Actually, these are not "dots", per se, but are perforations in a dark (black) material apparently applied to the windshield.

Reply to
Big John

They do three things. One is that they hide the glass adhesives and interior edge of the lip that the glass is attached to from exterior view. The next thing they do is provide locater points for the robots that install the glass. If you look around the glass you will find small targets that the robot uses to position the glass.

And the last thing is that most also have location marks for the wipers on them as well. That is for those times you need to replace the wiper arms. Just locate them on the marks and tighten them down.

Now if you were looking at a few other models you might notice that they have also used the strips to hide the connections for defroster grids and the metallic coatings that serve as defrosters.

Reply to
Steve W.

I was told the "Dots" behind the rearview mirror have to do with the auto dimming feature.

I wonder if they block 'Fuzz Buster' signals? I was looking at a convenientt place to put the 'Fuzz buster'.

Reply to
Bill

Black dots around the window edges? This sounds like the black masking on the glass that prevents UV light from attacking the Adhesive that holds the windshield in place. The dots blend the masking into the rest of the windshield.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I've got no problems with my Valentine One behind the dots in my work Chevy van. That's using a visor mount clipped to the headliner. The suction cup mount will not stick to the dots, need clean windshield for that. Easy Pass works fine behind the dots in my Yukon and Mustang GT

Reply to
Repairman

that's the sensor for the rain sensing wiper system i believe.

The area behind the mirror is very simply a shade.

It covers the area that the sun visors don't.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

hmmm...OK makes sense. a friend told me it was the rain sensor for the wipers..... if not... any idea where the sensor is located? Just curious.

Near the rear view mirror

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On my wifes Lexus, it's a little box like affair behind th rear view mirror. Don't know about other makes.

Reply to
Big John