down in oil

Page 1 of 2
noticed that my chev silverado /w 250 was down roughly a liter of oil so I topped it off. Damn... old girl got some kick to her now. :)

RE/

Mine always seems to run better after I wash it.
--
PeteCresswell

you want to REALLY see it run strong... take it to a chevy dealer and look at new trucks..
From my own personal experiences... racing stripes and fuzzy dice boost the HP and torque, respectively...

new ones lack that much power or the opposite?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:59:18 GMT, Michael McNeil

a 250-I6 has about 125HP... the smallest V8 (4.8) in a new truck puts out about 285hp... you do the math.
-Bret

"Bret Chase" the smallest V8 (4.8) in a new truck puts

do you mean the smallest v8 offered in a new truck or the smallest v8 engine gm produces?
i know they make a 267c.i. (4.4L) which is a v8

oil

funny... I thought "the smallest V8 (4.8) in a new truck" was pretty clear.
-Bret

Don't forget, GM used to make a 265 c.i.d. not sure on the liter size.
--
Mark
"Bret Chase" < snipped-for-privacy@business.net> wrote in message
Mark wrote:

The 265 was out of production long before we started referring to displacements in liters. However 265 is approximately 4.3L. The 4.3L V6 is 262 cubic inches.
I know, I just wanted the young(er) readers on here to know where the sb chevy started.
--
Mark
"High Sierra" < snipped-for-privacy@isp.com> wrote in message

yep.. and on about your 2nd set of rings you had a 283.. lol I know that folks love the 350, but I still think that those early small block v-8's (256-283-327) were some of the best, most dependable engines made.. (and you could work on them without calling in a plumber and electrician to get the smog crap out of your way)

AMEN to that!!
Mark
mac davis wrote:

I hear ya.

get behind the wheel of one of Chevy's new, 2500HD's with 366 ci engine and you will see the difference in new vs old.!!1 I've got a '03 2500HD, ext cab, short bed and it'll keep up with alot of hotrods on the road today. I'm happy with the get-up-n-go..!!!!
well the best I could do is test drive one and that's about it. Would like a new one but mine serves me well for what I need.
BTW
anyone know roughly how much oil the 5.7 takes in a change including the filter? I usually let the dealers maintain my vehicles ( warranty purposes ) but no warranty so I figured it's time to do my own now just not sure on the amount required.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:58:17 -0500, wolvomite

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:45:35 GMT, Michael McNeil

a 350 (5.7) takes 6 quarts.
-Bret

which works out to exactly 5.7 liters yes but I was always under the assumption that it too what the motor size was in liters plus some more if the oil filter was being changed as well...

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:20:14 GMT, Michael McNeil

it takes just under 6 quarts w/ a filter, but I just dump in the full 6 and don't worry about it.
-Bret

Bret Chase wrote:

snip
The engines displacement doesn't have any relation to how much oil is required.