down in oil

Page 2 of 2

I have a 1994 Silverado 4x4.The manual says it takes 5 quarts with the filter change too???????
I have always changed my own oil every 3 thousand miles and added 5 quarts.The dip stick reads full????
Is this wrong???
Thanks Doug

RE/

Ditto my '98 K1500 5.7.
--
PeteCresswell

my '88 K2500 takes 6 quarts... don't know what to tell you.
-Bret
RE/

How's the MPG? I'd be happy with anything over 14...which I'm getting now on a good day.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:59:18 GMT, Michael McNeil
maybe the wrong example... kind of like when you order a new bowling ball, the old one suddenly remembers how to throw strikes, like it's saying "I'm in great shape, don't dump me!".. lol

My old nova (1975) would burn more oil then a 2stroke lawn mower. I would only add oil when the rockers rattled. That thing ran forever and took some abuse steve

ya I noticed a slight rattle on start up for the past 2 weeks or so now myself. Figured it might have something to do with the colder weather but the oil made a difference today definitely.

I used to do the same thing with my '79 chevy pickup. 250 six cylinder. When the rockers rattled enough I would stop and add oil. Eventually I just rebuilt the motor. But that thing was tough, not powerful, but tough.
Bryan

My '67 Chevelle 250 did burn 2 stroke oil, for a while. Was on I 87 coming home from a snowmobile trip towing a trailer w/sleds and burnt a piston. It was a sub zero day. Motor was pumping oil out and I didn't have any more motor oil with me. All I had was 2 stroke oil so I poured it in to get the 25 -30 miles to the next service area. Damned if the oil girl made it and got me the rest of the 250 miles home on 5 holes. She was smoking like a 2 stroker with that stuff in. I figured the motor was toast anyway, it had high miles, and every mile closer to home was a another buck off the tow bill. The 2 stroke oil did clean up a sticky lifter though.........
--
John
"Michael McNeil"

had a buddy in high school with an old chev half ton 4x4. it ran out of oil and got so hot the motor wouldn't run. ...twice
but after it cooled we would pour oil in it and it would fire up....30,000 klm later it didn't even knock and the truck sold for more than he paid for it.
well it seems that if I either put in 5 or 6 quarts of oil I'm in good shape for the next 5000 km. :)
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:39:47 GMT, Michael McNeil