drawbacks of a 2WD

I'm thinking about replacing my 1995 Tahoe 4X4 with a newer 2 wd. Since I only use the 4wd for the occasional snow that we have I wonder why not a 2wd? I'm thinking less maintenance and better gas mileage when I tow.

I personally prefer 2WD. I look for trucks that have limited slip instead of 4WD. Better gas mileage is one benefit, less to break is another as well as lower insurance rates. 2WD also costs about $2k less up front. Resale is easier w/ 4WD, but I don't buy something with the mind of how will it sell wayyyy down the road. I look for what I need and want to have to use every day. 4WD is very nice on the occasional big snow we get, but for me, that's about its only use.

Depends on your climate, off roading habits , and other relevant use. I would never go back to a 2WD. I find it hard to believe that my Avalanche in 2WD mode is getting worse mileage than a similar 2WD Tahoe.

We've got a 95 Blazer that's only in 4wd a few times a year, just to make sure it still works.. 4wd is nice if you need it and easier to resell than a 2wd Blazer or Yukon..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

With a locker you can take a 2wd pretty much anywhere a 4x4 can go. The main downside is the lask of low range, I found that to be hard on the transmission. There really isn't any extra maintenance and the gas mileage is so close it doesn't make much of a difference.

I have a 94 4WD Chev K1500 that gets 14 empty, my 2000 C2500HD does that hauling 2000 lbs and 18 mpg empty. The 2WD drives nicer and I can do a U turn just about anywhere with it. I do like the 4WD when it snows though. Steve

Yeah, right......but with 4x4, you can get back out again.
The

Not sure what you are saying, here.

With the exception of differential and transfer case maintenance, I agree.
Dave

When I'm out hunting in the fall, I'm pulling out all the guys like you who figure a 2WD limited slip or locker is basically the same traction and off-road ability. I've used and owned both extensively. 4WD vs 2WD is like night and day in slick, wet, muddy, icy and snowy off road and on road conditions.

Back in September 2005, when GM was offering their "below invoice" sale, I shopped for a Chevy truck with the all-aluminum 5.3L V8. The regular build order put that engine only in a 4X4 with an extended cab. I wanted the engine, so I ponied up the extra bucks for the 4X4 and extended cab. So far, I haven't used the 4 wheel drive but the extended cab is really handy.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

I had a 4x4 Jimmy for six years (and 150K miles) and only found the need to use the 4lo once.
The rest of the time, I delt with the stupid actuator going out on me.
Ever since I've had my Avalanche, I've taken it all sorts of places I'm "supposed" to have 4WD but have yet to get stuck.
Oh, and I had even taken my 2wd minivan way out off roading without a problem...
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/17
...that picture was taken right next to where all the 4x4 Jeep tours would go. :P