drive axle noise

I have a noise from the rear drive axle on my AWD Astro. It's a limited slip diff. I changed the fluid with synthetic and didn't see anything and the old fluid wasn't that bad. It sounds like a bearing noise, changes with speed and sounds the same when turning.It makes the same noise if I raise the wheels off the ground. My suspicion is a carrier bearing, but don't know how to tell. If it is, how difficult is it to replace? Is it pressed in? Thanks for any advice.

David

Reply to
David

Sounds like pinion bearings. Possibly side bearings, but more likely to be pinion bearings. If you have to ask these kind of questions about the difficulty of replacing bearings in a rear axle, you don't want to be involved in doing it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai