Drive shaft Question.

I have a 99 GMC jimmy and the TCCM is out and the 4x4 is rendered inoperative, I was wondering if I took out the front driveshaft if it would make a difference in the gas milage.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

I would think that it would decrease the rolling friction and improve the gas mileage a bit, but your transfer case might get damaged -- I somehow remember asking that question and getting that answer about my '81 CJ-7 in a bulletin board back in the late 80's. I can't remember the reason(s) given.

Reply to
Franko

You wouldn't gain anything other than easier access to your oil filter.

Reply to
Shades

oh ok, thanks for the help, and dont you mean I would get easier access to the fuel filter?

Reply to
Adam Frazier

This Jimmy gets 10mpg right now if I am lucky, ever since it ran outta gas about a month ago, its puttered and given me a cylinder number 4 misfire I've ruled that down to the fuel injector clogged, I ran techron through it for 5 tanks and no results so I'm trying other methods to increase fuel milage.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

buy yourself a little old economy car and it will pay for itself in a few months with current gas prices.

Reply to
mudmonkey

the mileage wont improve until you fix the miss.

Reply to
Mad Dog

oops, I was thinking full size truck.

Reply to
Shades

Yeah, if I could find one around my area they are scarce, very scarce.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

Thanks, but were the heck are the injectors on the 4.3 engine located??

Reply to
Adam Frazier

errr-- might want to learn something about transfer cases, first.

There won't be any damage whatsoever. There also won't be any improvement in mileage, other than the .001mpg from not carrying around the 10 pounds.

Reply to
burntkat

why not address the most likely problem-- a bum fuel pump, from your having run it low?

Reply to
burntkat

Or a plugged filter.

On the driveshaft, if it's anything like my S-10 (though the ZR2 IS different I think), the t-case end of the driveshaft is a CVJ that slides into the t-case.

Reply to
Mike Levy

he was referring to the FRONT shaft, though.

I really doubt there's a slipyoke on the front shaft. But yeah, if ther is, removing it would be a Bad Thing....

Reply to
burntkat

well the reason why it ran out was the sending unit is bad, it said we had

90 miles to go when it ran out.
Reply to
Adam Frazier

They are sitting under the plastic upper plenum.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

What kind of 4x4 switch do you have on the dash? If it has an "Auto4hi" position, don't remove the driveshaft, if it just has 4hi, 2hi, 4lo...removing the driveshaft is ok, but won't do anything for your gas mileage. It doesn't turn in 2hi if you don't have the auto t/case.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Adam Frazier

Reply to
Adam Frazier

dopesn't matter why it ran out. Running out of gas is bad for the pump.

I'd do a pressure/volume test on the pump before I went much further. Make sure to test under load as well.

Reply to
burntkat