Drive shaft Question.

Page 1 of 2
I have a 99 GMC jimmy and the TCCM is out and the 4x4 is rendered inoperative, I was wondering if I took out the front driveshaft if it would make a difference in the gas milage.

I would think that it would decrease the rolling friction and improve the gas mileage a bit, but your transfer case might get damaged -- I somehow remember asking that question and getting that answer about my '81 CJ-7 in a bulletin board back in the late 80's. I can't remember the reason(s) given.

You wouldn't gain anything other than easier access to your oil filter.

oh ok, thanks for the help, and dont you mean I would get easier access to the fuel filter?
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

oops, I was thinking full size truck.

This Jimmy gets 10mpg right now if I am lucky, ever since it ran outta gas about a month ago, its puttered and given me a cylinder number 4 misfire I've ruled that down to the fuel injector clogged, I ran techron through it for 5 tanks and no results so I'm trying other methods to increase fuel milage.
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

buy yourself a little old economy car and it will pay for itself in a few months with current gas prices.
Yeah, if I could find one around my area they are scarce, very scarce.

the mileage wont improve until you fix the miss.
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

Adam Frazier wrote:

They are sitting under the plastic upper plenum.
Ian
you have to take the throttle body off then to get to them

why not address the most likely problem-- a bum fuel pump, from your having run it low?
On 31 May 2005 14:27:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Or a plugged filter.
On the driveshaft, if it's anything like my S-10 (though the ZR2 IS different I think), the t-case end of the driveshaft is a CVJ that slides into the t-case.
he was referring to the FRONT shaft, though.
I really doubt there's a slipyoke on the front shaft. But yeah, if ther is, removing it would be a Bad Thing....
On 31 May 2005 17:28:21 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I was also referring to the front shaft. On the ZR2 and (I think) the AutoTrac units there is a CV joint on the t-case end of the DS. Not sure if it's a slip-yoke or it's held in with a snap-ring like the CVs for the front axle...
well the reason why it ran out was the sending unit is bad, it said we had 90 miles to go when it ran out.

dopesn't matter why it ran out. Running out of gas is bad for the pump.
I'd do a pressure/volume test on the pump before I went much further. Make sure to test under load as well.
I've been told check the fuel filter, but I cannot even get to it without removing the driveshaft to the front end. And I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, plus I have a constant misfire code on cylinder 4 that I cannot get to go away thats what makes me think its the injector. I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and ran bottles after bottle of techron through it.

errr-- might want to learn something about transfer cases, first.
There won't be any damage whatsoever. There also won't be any improvement in mileage, other than the .001mpg from not carrying around the 10 pounds.