Driveline clunk-true or false?

Was told by dealer yesterday that GM no longer "fixes" the driveline clunking by installing new nickle plated yoke. The "fix" they
performed was just to grease it. I had a copy of a tsb (a few years old) that stated to replace w/nickle which i assume they no longer adhere to..Any thoughts/answers??
"gary" wrote

I'm not aware of any "edict" from GM saying not to replace the yoke. As far as I know, we are still doing it, but I haven't seen the need to for quite a while.
Ian
Had it done to my truck, and it only helped temporarily. In reality, the only reason it probably helped was the lube they put on when installing the new nickle plated yoke.
| | "gary" wrote | | > Was told by dealer yesterday that GM no longer "fixes" the driveline | > clunking by installing new nickle plated yoke. The "fix" they | > performed was just to grease it. I had a copy of a tsb (a few years | > old) that stated to replace w/nickle which i assume they no longer | > adhere to..Any thoughts/answers?? | | I'm not aware of any "edict" from GM saying not to replace | the yoke. As far as I know, we are still doing it, but I haven't | seen the need to for quite a while. | | Ian | |
The splines are tranny fluid lubed so how does greasing said splines solve the problem? Is the grease compatible with tranny fluid? Yes guys, the grease flushes into the tranny or t-case depending on configuration (2x4 or 4x4) Just maybe the problem is with the light duty c-clip diff any thought from the pros? Rolf
the grease is thicker and is trapped behind the output shaft, where it does the most good
ATF is 'lube' only in the sense of whatever splashes back there (governor unit) or is sprayed there (electronic unit) and manages to cling to the shaft long enough to work down between the shaft and the yoke..................

I have the same problem with my 91 4X4 and someone here told me to grease it. If not the yoke replacement is quite the job. I am going to find the heaviest grease to wack behind the universal and hope she latest till the fall.
LTR Dthenewf
RE/

I've got a '98 burb that had that problem for a couple of years. Now it's got almost 110k on it and it doesn't happen anymore.
Could it be a matter of the parts in question getting worn enough so the fit is loose enough that they slide into place too easily to "clunk"?
--
PeteCresswell