Driveshaft noice

(Cross posted)
I was going to trade my 2000 Chevy S10 4x4 in yesterday when the Sales Manager claims the transmission is going on it. I know that there has been
no behavioral difference since I've owned it for 5 years. Since the day I bought it there was the occasional noise from the driveshaft that would happen if you press on the gas then release then press on it again. I brought it in the dealership back then from something unrelated and talked to the tech and he said that was normal behavior. I haven't thought about it since and it's driven fine. Now that I want to trade this truck in I'm being told it could require $2000 in a transmission rebuild. Yet it drives perfectly fine just like any other truck. I guess my question is, is this normal for this truck or is the sales manager trying to weasel 2000 from me. I am thinking the latter.
Thanks,
Glenn
HopsNBarley wrote:

    What sort of noise is it? a squeal, a rubbing sound, ect? Condishions when the nosie happens?
    Did their Service Department say the transmission is shot or did just the sales manager? Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

I guess the best way to describe the sound is turning of the drive shaft like a quarter turn before it engages. This does not happen in normal driving only if I press the gas then release then press the gas again. It's done it since I bought the truck.

Just the Sales Manager.
Thanks,
Glenn
HopsNBarley wrote:

    Just a guess. But it sounds like the U-joints in the driveshaft are bad. Have it looked at, or take the driveshaft out and replace the U-joints. Shouldn't be more then $80 to have new, made in the usa U-joints pressed in. Charles

when
shaft
It's
the
wouldn't a vibration go along with worn out U joints?

Gordon wrote:

    Sorry for the delayed reply. Just got home from my extended holliday vacation with the kin folk.
    Not always. My 1984 C-10 would clunk going from reverse to forward gears, and vice versa. Yet did not vibrate. I only drove it 40 miles like that, first 2 days I had it. When I had the old U-joints pressed out, there was nothing but oxisde dust left of the needle roller barrings.
    I also had a simmular encounter with a jeep. worn joints, clunking yuet not vibrating, or not noticable. Charles
Fixed title.

Doesn't matter if there's anything wrong with it or not. Sell it, don't trade it in. They will always weasel everything they can out of you. Go to www.kbb.com and look at the difference in price between "trade-in" value and "private party" value (and "retail" value). I think you will want to sell it after looking at the numbers. Spend a little time and clean it up nice before you sell it. Just for the record, it sounds as if it very well could be normal play in the drivetrain that you feel. If it was u-joints they would likely have completely failed by now and the driveshaft would be laying in the street. or at least you would have a bad vibration going down the highway.(since you said it's done it for so long)

been
drives
me.
If the same sales manager was trying to sell that truck, he would say that it is normal drivetrain slack. He's just trying to wear you down...don't let him.
Dave
Hairy wrote:

I'm not sure what to think, something was fishy that's for sure. I would of expected a follow up call yesterday but there wasn't. I suppose I'll move on, too bad, I really thought I was getting a great deal on the van. Probably why they shut it down on me.
Glenn
Glenn,
It might be worth it to take it to a reputable trans shop and get their opinion, may charge you a little to look at it but certainly less than 2K. That definitely sounds fishy to me too, I never trust anyone at a stealership who isn't getting their hands dirty.
How about when you shift from D to R do you get the same noise? If so it is U joints
Glenn,
It might be worth it to take it to a reputable trans shop and get their opinion, may charge you a little to look at it but certainly less than 2K. That definitely sounds fishy to me too, I never trust anyone at a stealership who isn't getting their hands dirty.
89GMC wrote:

Funny they called today and offered the orginal price, said that the behaviour is "normal" for my truck. I guess it must have something to do with the fact that I didn't call them back for two days. I'm looking elsewhere now though.
Glenn
HopsNBarley wrote:

Normal for any 4x4 1996 to 2001. There is lots of info on the rear slip joint making noise in these trucks on the web. You will get a Slip and or Clank when shifting gears. A defect in the Transfer case.