drivetrain / transmission noise

Just bought an 06 silverardo and now have 700 miles on it.
My truck has a v-6 and a 5 speed manual trans.
When I shift gears, normally one of the lower gears, I have a clunk
that drives me nuts. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission but not sure.
I also get this noise when I slow down a little and then speed up again, such as when I slow down for something in the road and then speed up when the something is out of the road.
It sounds to me like a lot of back lash in the trans but I really find it hard to believe that the gears are so sloppy that it makes so much noise.
I have been driving standard shifts for 35 years and never had this much noise, let alone the truck is new
any ideas? bad tranny or maybe differant gear oil??
Thanks all.

Check for worn Ujoints, just a little bit of play in them can make a lot of noise sometimes as it conducts through drive shaft. Some end play with age is normal though. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

what age? 06' with 700 miles? spicer stock is going to soar if 700 mile u-joints become common now.

You have never heard of defective parts from factory??? Also the driveshaft can really radiate drive line noises sometimes. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Make this the dealer's warranty problem, no?

-
Chances are that the noise is the typical GM rear-axle slack. I had it on my 1990 Jimmy with manual tranny and I have it on my 04 Colorado with automatic. With the manual tranny it is much more pronounced though.
When I took my Jimmy to the dealer for this noise I was told that they are all this loose now for fuel economy reasons. The beast ran for ten years without ever having a rear-axle problem; the motor finally made it necessary to trade.
You may have to live with the noise.
John