drum brake locks up tight

What am I missing here? Helped a friend with his 73 blazer tonight. Has the

12 bolt rear axle. 6 months ago he had the brakes done by a shop and they have worked fine. Then suddenly the drivers rear wheel locked up. It is definatly the brake that is locking the wheel because without the drums on the axle spins freely. So now it has new brake shoes, new drums, springs are 6 months old, and everything is cleaned. What seems to be happening is that the self adjuster just keeps getting tighter and tighter every time you back up until the brakes are so tight the wheel will not turn. Also I should add that the wheel locks tight when moving forward, but when spun backwards it moves ok. What would cause a drum brake to lock like that?
Reply to
Rusted

maybe moisture

Reply to
howdydoody

Shoes are new, Drums are new, parts all cleaned. Nothing is wet.

Reply to
Rusted

Yeah, that was a shitty guess eh! If the self-adjusters are over-adjusting, I'd check the tension of the self-adjuster tab return spring. If it's loose or incorrectly positioned there is nothing to keep the adjuster in check. Also, check the sprokets on the adjuster wheel. If they're really worn, it could be the adjusted is spinning freely on the adjuster tab and overtightening.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

here's my thought... were the shoes put on backwards?... IRC, the shoe with the long friction goes to the front, the short friction to the rear. I agree w/ checking the adjusting pawl, too.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I am going to have to look at this tonight. Are you positive that the long shoe faces the front of the vehicle? I believe the Hayes manual showed the longer show towards the rear. I will double check that tonight.

over-adjusting,

Reply to
Rusted

-Bret ====== ====== snipped-for-privacy@please.com (Rusted) questions the answer with a question......

I am going to have to look at this tonight.

Are you positive that the long shoe faces the front of the vehicle?

I believe the Hayes manual showed the longer show towards the rear. I will double check that tonight.

====== ======

Depends.......

Once ....I saw a 57 Chevy that had front ends on both ends....complete with doors, windshields, the works..... (AmVets parade car)

now which way you reckon them long shoes oughta go on a thing like that...?????

Long shoe to the front....of course!!!!!

00 L O

marsh ~thinks maybe you worked on yer friends vehical and got things mixed up~ ====== ======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Haynes has been wrong before.

Personally-- if you know anyone that can weld-- I'd say it's time to drop $20 on a pair of weld-on caliper brackets and go with a low-buck rear disc conversion. They're all over the web, typically for less than $150.

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

Heya Marshy... missed ya

-Bret

- tips his Capt'n & diet to da monster!

Reply to
Bret Chase

Welcome back bud. which vat was it this time?

Reply to
hank

Where the hell ya been buddy! Good to see ya!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

over-adjusting,

Short shoe to the front, long to the rear.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

My money is on the Harps...

Reply to
burntkat IS AT sc.rr.com

. .

Bret Doc Hank

ty.......

good to see you guys too

marsh ~stirs the glass....takes a sip....and wonders............. who's Hank?~ ===== =====

Reply to
Marsh Monster

if you believe Haynes:

I have several bridges across our wonderful United States you might be interested in?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Welcome back!

my personal nut sniffer!

Refinish King

LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

I say the Hillbilly was drinking straight Shine?

Any wagers?

Nice to see the good joker back, now for Trans Surgeon, and all the regulars are back!

Refinish King

Again, welcome back and keep that snout dry!

LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

I would agree with that on any car:

But, always get at the minimum: a Hurst inline adjustable proportioning valve. Otherwise, you'll be seeing the ass end every time you need to make an emergency stop>

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Hank, the shit eating dog of course!

I told you he was looking for you a long time ago!

LOFL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King