drum brake locks up tight

Page 1 of 2
What am I missing here? Helped a friend with his 73 blazer tonight. Has the 12 bolt rear axle. 6 months ago he had the brakes done by a shop and they have worked fine. Then suddenly the drivers rear wheel locked up. It is
definatly the brake that is locking the wheel because without the drums on the axle spins freely. So now it has new brake shoes, new drums, springs are 6 months old, and everything is cleaned. What seems to be happening is that the self adjuster just keeps getting tighter and tighter every time you back up until the brakes are so tight the wheel will not turn. Also I should add that the wheel locks tight when moving forward, but when spun backwards it moves ok. What would cause a drum brake to lock like that?
maybe moisture
Shoes are new, Drums are new, parts all cleaned. Nothing is wet.

here's my thought... were the shoes put on backwards?... IRC, the shoe with the long friction goes to the front, the short friction to the rear. I agree w/ checking the adjusting pawl, too.
-Bret
I am going to have to look at this tonight. Are you positive that the long shoe faces the front of the vehicle? I believe the Hayes manual showed the longer show towards the rear. I will double check that tonight.

over-adjusting,
loose
check.
worn, it

(today we tune in to here.....)
-Bret ========== snipped-for-privacy@please.com (Rusted) questions the answer with a question......
I am going to have to look at this tonight.
Are you positive that the long shoe faces the front of the vehicle?
I believe the Hayes manual showed the longer show towards the rear. I will double check that tonight.
========== Depends.......
Once ....I saw a 57 Chevy that had front ends on both ends....complete with doors, windshields, the works..... (AmVets parade car)
now which way you reckon them long shoes oughta go on a thing like that...?????
Long shoe to the front....of course!!!!!
00 L O
marsh ~thinks maybe you worked on yer friends vehical and got things mixed up~ ==========
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:46:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) wrote:

Heya Marshy... missed ya
-Bret
- tips his Capt'n & diet to da monster!
Welcome back bud. which vat was it this time?
--
hank
2004 Chev Z71

I say the Hillbilly was drinking straight Shine?
Any wagers?
Nice to see the good joker back, now for Trans Surgeon, and all the regulars are back!
Refinish King
Again, welcome back and keep that snout dry!
LOL
(Rusted)

(Rusted)

Where the hell ya been buddy! Good to see ya!
Doc

Welcome back!
my personal nut sniffer!
Refinish King
LOL
(Rusted)

Haynes has been wrong before.
Personally-- if you know anyone that can weld-- I'd say it's time to drop $20 on a pair of weld-on caliper brackets and go with a low-buck rear disc conversion. They're all over the web, typically for less than $150.

it's
I would agree with that on any car:
But, always get at the minimum: a Hurst inline adjustable proportioning valve. Otherwise, you'll be seeing the ass end every time you need to make an emergency stop>
Refinish King

I can weld good enough that they don't look like total boogers. I am going to look into that, to go disk brakes all around for less than $200 sounds good to me. Any favorite sites that sell the brackets, I will do a google search, but I always like to entertain companies that have a good reputation.

Pretty sure Jegs has the parts. Do a google for "Race car parts" as I know one of my circletrack buds showed me the parts for about $13 a pair in his parts book.

wet.
in
really
shoe
if you believe Haynes:
I have several bridges across our wonderful United States you might be interested in?
Refinish King

it's

over-adjusting,
loose
check.
worn, it

Short shoe to the front, long to the rear.
Brian
NoSpam wrote:

Brian is right, I can't believe all you other experts don't know that? It's always been, short shoe to the front whenever there are different lengths of shoe. Geez! This is automotive brakes 101.
Ian