drum brake locks up tight

Page 2 of 2

--
Computer Tips & Tweaks
Builds/Upgrades/Repairs
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:57:39 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

shit, I deal w/ the drums on my truck about once every other year... and last summer was the last time I fooled with them. I do distinctly remember however that the short shoe on my truck had the longer friction on it.
-Bret

The steel frame work of the shoes are the same front side (primary) and back side (secondary) of the drum. The length of the friction material is what makes it a short or long shoe. That's the difference in them.
You can't have a short shoe with a long friction.
Brian

no, the frames are different.. these are the 11 5/32" X 2 1/2" drums.
-Bret
Bret Chase wrote:

If you are saying (as I think you are) that the front shoe on your truck had the longer friction material....then you need to pull your rear brakes apart and put the long shoe to the rear side.
There are three catagories that I've seen. Long shoe, short shoe.. always the short shoe to the front.....same length material, "primary" and "secondary" printed on the metal frame to indicate which shoe is the front (primary).....and then same length material and it doesn't matter, either shoe can be the front or rear.
Ian
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:40:19 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

I'm saying that on my brakes (which my uncle, a mechanic of 30+ years exp. installed) the shoes only went on one way and I *think* the shoe that was physically shorter had the longer friction on it. however, I'm not pulling anything apart as my brakes work just fine (i.e. no wet weather grabbiness, tons of stopping power, etc.)

the brakes are the 11 5/32" X 2 1/2" drums used in LD 2500's the shoes were the mid level Albany's from AZ.
-Bret
The metal shoes are the same length!
Refinish King

Refinish King wrote:

Yeah, I'd agree. I've never run into GM brake shoes that have different size frames. It's always the lining that can differ in size, not the actual shoe.
Unless it's some one-off that I haven't run across...always possible.
Ian
. .
Bret Doc Hank
ty.......
good to see you guys too
marsh ~stirs the glass....takes a sip....and wonders............. who's Hank?~ ========

"Marsh Monster" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net...
Hank, the shit eating dog of course!
I told you he was looking for you a long time ago!
LOFL
Refinish King

Whot 'bout me? Got me a new rig...
~KJ/TLGM