Dual Exhaust '99 Suburban K1500

I am curious to know if anyone knows who makes a complete dual exhaust for the Suburban? I am talking with headers ( with cats) all the way out the back. Would it increase gas mileage / horsepower? Also, is it worth the money to put in a K&N filter to increase gas mileage?

Thank you, in advance, for any info.

Wayne

'99 Chevy Suburban

Reply to
NinetyThreeRedCapri

You'd be farther ahead with a K&N filter and a Hypertech programmer.

Reply to
Augustus

K&N's are greatly over rated and have been proven to filter air less too. If you are looking for a makes cure for MPG, K&N is not the answer. Custom tune would be money better spent.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
NinetyThreeRedCapri

When Snoman says it filters less he means that it filters less, not flows less. It flows more, and filtration rate is more than adequate. I used a Hypertech programmer on my '04 Avalanche Z71 along with a K&N. The difference over stock performance is a lot. Especially with the premium fuel program.

Reply to
Augustus

It is not s stupid question.(really no such thing as one either) If you play with the display (like I did once) you will find the it is a VERY fine adjustment to make it favor K&N (very fine). A modern engine controlls fuel air mixture regardless of air density so even if the pressure dropp through filter is say 1% less (any is is a very small difference indeed) it will have no effect on the MPG on a closed loop fuel injected motor because it will adjust mixutre. With a old carb, a bit less retriction on intake cause carb to lean out a bit which is good or bad depending on what A/F ratio for it currently is. People want to beleive is silver bullets though so myth lives on. (just like they wanted to beleive in 50 MPG carbs locked in a vault many many years ago) Ask yourself this, if there was any real merit to this and dual exhausts truck would come with them because detriot is under a LOT of pressure to get MPG and power up and if this worked that great, new trucks would have a form of them on them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Your gain is from the combo of program and better fuel, not the filter. Even if you just ran 89 or better long term stock you would likely see a MPG gain and better fuel is a must with a programmer if you want best return because 87 octane can severly limit spark curve and resulting efficeny and power. The masses though tend to be hung up on 87 octane and this is why Detriot has spent billions over the years on advanced knock control systems to keep consumer "happy" (no knocks) while they burn cheapest fuel they can find ignorant to that it is likely increasing overall operating cost due to reduced efficency because of constant need to adjust spark curve at times increase fuel consumption. 87 octan came out in 70 and was designed for 8 to 1 compression engines and now engine are 9 to 1 and higher (and would be higher still were it not for 87 octane because there is limits to how much you can mask octane requirements). America s love for 87 is kinda its own undoing.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The condemnation on the K&N filter comes from those who never used it and don't want you to prove they are stupid. As far as whether or not it is worth the monty, it is your choice. Consider the simple cost of replacing the filter ever 15,000 versus paying once for the expected length of ownership. I have changed over to the K&N in just about every vehicle I have had since the late 80's and always had an immediate increase in mileage and power. The mileage increase has varied from just measurable to considerable (when I used to check out ever tank full, but that was long ago). Probably the most dramatic demonstration of the noticable power increase came from my Jeep Cherokee, an '88 I think. Pre K&N using the cruise control at 55 the Cherokee would downshift about half way up a particular hill. The day after I installed the K&N air filter and nothing else it would not downshift until almost all the way up the hill and sometimes not at all.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Dear Snowjob,

Do you still drive a Model T? That is the same type of ignorant thinking that hindered many advancements in all fields. What it really boils down to is $$$$$$$$$$$$. It costs MONEY to put in the best equipment, MONEY that the average buyer does NOT want to spend. Yes, they are under lots of pressure to get MPG up, but also under even MORE pressure to keep costs down. MONEY was the issue in EVERY election for decades. People vote by their greedy pocketbooks and not by issues. People buy vehicles more by their out-of-pocket expense than by long term savings in gas mileage. Those people most interested in fuel economy also want the least expensive cash outlay also!

Yes, there are many stupid gimicks out there (gas pills, vortex addons to the intake, gas magnets, etc.). That does not mean that everything out there not OEM is a gimick.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Not really. Cummins would at one time void a warranty if a K$N was used.

Reply to
Roy

Ok, why did they stop? And was it a specific mention of the K&N or all aftermarket filters?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

"It [K&N air filter] won't void your warranty. By federal law, the only time an aftermarket part can void a warranty is if that part can be proven to be the cause of the problem with the vehicle."

From a dealer (owner) on:

Mike Dobony

Thanks for everyones help so far.... Still nobody answered the part about a full dual exhaust system. I've been sno-blinded by a bunch of comments against the sno-man.

Reply to
NinetyThreeRedCapri

IIrc it was due to turbo failures and the amount of crap found in them.

Reply to
Roy

As was the case with the turbo and related failures.

Ya, I know the Mag act. Cummins I believe took the position that the turbo failure and resulting downstream damage was caused by the stuff that passed by the K$N.

Reply to
Roy

Common with Snowman's snowjobs. After the cats you can do anything you like as long as you have a muffler. You can use bullet mufflers, dual, half-size, stacks, etc.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

But failed to prove it, hence the govt. put a stop to it, right?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I don't know what the final was on it. For all I know it may still be going on, or perhaps K^N met Cummins standards I lost track of it after a bit.

Reply to
Roy

The ignorance is yours not mine because you seem to know far more than the engineers that built them and me too on the subjest of engine design and theromdynamic preciples and efficencys of a IC engine even though you likely never studied it like I have and its designers have. People like you think WOT all the time and 5000 RPM but the reality is what might help a bit at 5000 RPM and WOT, hurts you the rest of the time. YOu can beleive what you want but it does no change the physics involed because they is a LOT more to engine design and efficency than just chopping it up and adding a new air filter (with less filtering capacity) and a different exhaust on a closed loop engine. After market makers love you guys and laugh all the way to the bank. Ill bet you thing 87 octane is the best possible fuel for it too even though detriot has long used 93 octane for their MPG tests (but they never tell you that on stick because the law does not require them to tell you)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Snoman, again, tell me where you studied engineering at. What school and what years?? I've asked you several times and you've never answered. Is there a reason why??

Denny

Reply to
Denny