Dual Exhaust '99 Suburban K1500

Per a dealer (owner of the dealership) Cummins cannot void a warranty if you use a K&N air filter. Lets see, he gets paid by Cummins for warranty work and if he makes a mistake the customer ends up paying, resulting in a very angry customer and not a repeat customer. He looses business. As far as I know and see K&N has NOT changed their product at all over the years. That means that Cummins cannot prove that it was the filter that caused the damage. Was there similar damage done by the stock filter? Maybe there was damage due to dirt passing through the filter. The question is then is it more dirt than what passes through a regular OEM filter? Evidently thay could not prove that.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Check the Gibson Exhaust site.....they have more complete systems than the others.

I think they had a muffler and tailpipe system for my 99 tahoe....don't remember about the cat back or suburban.

Also, stay away from the K&N filters.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

Under the Old Testament you would be stoned to death for such a false prophecy. No, a LONG string of false prophecies. Engineers do not sell cars, businesses do. My expertise is business, Bachelors of Science, Management Major, Daemen College class of '83, Snyder, NY. If engineers had their way there would be no auto industry because they would make products too expensive to buy. Your thinking would have a budget car priced at over $30,000. Engineers can do and have done MUCH more that is available on the dealer lots. They are called concept cars! They are WAY too expensive for the average buyer.

I think crusing RPM (targeting about 75% of the peak torque RPM), not WOT. I rarely put the pedal to the metal. I am not into drag racing. I am into driving to the store, to church, to school, to my favorite first grandson and my favorite second grandson's home, to the hospital, to the theater, to friend's homes, to the restaurant, etc.

I prefer 89 octane gasohol. That is where I get the best gas mileage on most of my vehicles since I started buing new vehicles around 1988. Higher octane has not proven to give better gas mileage.

You are a liar as to your education, unless it was from a mail-order catalog. If you had any real knowledge of fluid dynamics you would understand about exhaust and intake restrictions and design and why very small changes (details optomized by the aftermarket) can yeld exponential results (rule of squares sound familiar). Your grammar stinks. I thought MINE was bad, but I still get A's and B's graduate level marked down only a half a letter grade due to grammar. Yours would get lowered to near failing. Lack of reasoning skills drops you below F.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

in some states, it is illegal to change to duals and it will not pass a vivual inspection old john

Hello, News! You wrote on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 02:40:12 GMT:

NS> I think they had a muffler and tailpipe system for my 99 tahoe....don't NS> remember about the cat back or suburban.

NS> Also, stay away from the K&N filters.

NS> skimmer

??>> Thank you, in advance, for any info. ??>>

??>> Wayne ??>>

??>> '99 Chevy Suburban ??>>

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Let me help you out. He is aware that you and he are just about neighbors. Thus it would be real easy for you to disprove what he offers up. Sorta like telling me I have some interest in 87 octane. He makes these statements, then ignore's anybody who ask's for clarification or proof. It is the same thing he's always done.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Well, i will (try) to answer it for you since Snojob has managed to side track everyone, once again. Being that it is a 99, you will not find an out of the box true dual system for it. I know this because I have a 99 Silvy and IIRC the 'Burban uses a similarly designed set- up. Now, if you want true duals, this can be done and relatively inexpensive also. You will cut the Y-pipe where it goes from two 2.5" pipes - one 3" pipe, have welded (or do it yourself) on some 2.5" pipes to run the lenght you want, buy a 2 in/out muffler and be done with it.

Cost, as example, a 5' section of 2.5 pipe from Jegs is about 12 bucks, a good Magnaflow muflfer for trucks is about 130 and then labor.

Check out

in the forums, there are tons of people that have done exactly what you want to do, running everything from straight pipes, to glass packs, etc..

Answer it for you?

Reply to
azwiley1

Thanks for the info.....It's been several days waiting for this part of my question. It has been pretty much a K&N debate for the last few days and snowball throwing.

Reply to
NinetyThreeRedCapri

You're welcome.

As to the filter question, I can tell you I run a K&N type filter on my Silvy and live in AZ, so you can imagine what type of environment I drive in. Anyway, I can't say it has made a noticeable difference on HP, but I did notice that between the cold air setup getting cooler air in and the better exhaust, that the pick up when I need it (like merging on to I-10 at

75 mph), is much more responsive.

I also have not noticed any more or less dirt building up on the MAF or the throttle body and I do check. So, this option is up to you.

Reply to
azwiley1