Dual Exhaust '99 Suburban K1500

Page 2 of 2

I don't know what the final was on it. For all I know it may still be going on, or perhaps K^N met Cummins standards I lost track of it after a bit.

Per a dealer (owner of the dealership) Cummins cannot void a warranty if you use a K&N air filter. Lets see, he gets paid by Cummins for warranty work and if he makes a mistake the customer ends up paying, resulting in a very angry customer and not a repeat customer. He looses business. As far as I know and see K&N has NOT changed their product at all over the years. That means that Cummins cannot prove that it was the filter that caused the damage. Was there similar damage done by the stock filter? Maybe there was damage due to dirt passing through the filter. The question is then is it more dirt than what passes through a regular OEM filter? Evidently thay could not prove that.

Check the Gibson Exhaust site.....they have more complete systems than the others.
I think they had a muffler and tailpipe system for my 99 tahoe....don't remember about the cat back or suburban.
Also, stay away from the K&N filters.
skimmer

in some states, it is illegal to change to duals and it will not pass a vivual inspection old john
Hello, News! You wrote on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 02:40:12 GMT:
NS> I think they had a muffler and tailpipe system for my 99 tahoe....don't NS> remember about the cat back or suburban.
NS> Also, stay away from the K&N filters.
NS> skimmer

On Feb 2, 8:31 am, "NinetyThreeRedCapri"

Well, i will (try) to answer it for you since Snojob has managed to side track everyone, once again. Being that it is a 99, you will not find an out of the box true dual system for it. I know this because I have a 99 Silvy and IIRC the 'Burban uses a similarly designed set- up. Now, if you want true duals, this can be done and relatively inexpensive also. You will cut the Y-pipe where it goes from two 2.5" pipes - one 3" pipe, have welded (or do it yourself) on some 2.5" pipes to run the lenght you want, buy a 2 in/out muffler and be done with it.
Cost, as example, a 5' section of 2.5 pipe from Jegs is about 12 bucks, a good Magnaflow muflfer for trucks is about 130 and then labor.
Check out www.fullsizechevy.com in the forums, there are tons of people that have done exactly what you want to do, running everything from straight pipes, to glass packs, etc..
Answer it for you?
Thanks for the info.....It's been several days waiting for this part of my question. It has been pretty much a K&N debate for the last few days and snowball throwing.
Thanks again, Wayne

You're welcome.
As to the filter question, I can tell you I run a K&N type filter on my Silvy and live in AZ, so you can imagine what type of environment I drive in. Anyway, I can't say it has made a noticeable difference on HP, but I did notice that between the cold air setup getting cooler air in and the better exhaust, that the pick up when I need it (like merging on to I-10 at 75 mph), is much more responsive.
I also have not noticed any more or less dirt building up on the MAF or the throttle body and I do check. So, this option is up to you.