dumb 02 question

Is the cv joint the boot that is closest to the tire or is it the boot and flanged piece closer to the center of the vehicle? While changing my oil in my 2002, I noticed that it is all wet above
this flange (which I think is the cv joint) and NOT wet near the boot just next to this flange. So, to summerize, the leak appears to be where the shaft/axle goes into this flange(side closest to center of vehicle) and not on the other side of flange (near the boot). Any help is appreciated
On 9 Nov 2004 16:59:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bnl.gov (gary) wrote:

Actually they're both CV joints, the outer is a ball and race type CV joint and the inner is a plunging tripod type CV joint
-Bret
(gary) wrote:

So then what could be leaking? All boots are dry. Leak appears near the flange (the side closest to center of vehicle)
On 10 Nov 2004 05:26:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bnl.gov (gary) wrote:

as best I can tell I'd say you've got an axle seal leaking.
-Bret
(gary) wrote:

.