Duramax

When did Chevy start using the Duramax/Allison combo?
I have seen ads for a 97 that claims Duramax, but I didn't think it started till 02, or 03.

2001.....

Ron
Vehicle is an 85 S-10 blazer 4WD with 2.8 and auto trans.
I purchased an old (new, never installed and still shrink wrapped in plastic in the crate) AC Delco 2.8 crate motor. According to the GM paperwork inside it was reman in 1997 and has since sat. The GM Part # is 12464641. The sales order from the dealership calls it GM Part # 88961888. Can any one advise me where to go to verify that it will drop in? Searching and googling these numbers produce no results.
TIA GM
GM wrote:

Stand facing the flywheel. Is the starter mount on the left side? Are the motor mounts on the block directly across from each other on the block?
What is the block casting number? Head casting #?

Standing facing the flywheel, starter bolt holes are on the right or passenger side of motor, I can't tell about the mounts as I have not taken it out of the bottom part of the crate, The block casting number is 14072061, head casting numbers are 14054884 (passenger side) and 14054879 (drivers side). Is this an issue that they are different? Additionally there is another number on the front of the block just above the timing chain cover, T1219TP0. The number on the timing chain cover is 14024263.
TIA GM
GM wrote:

That is a 2.8 RWD engine. Should drop in without problems. The different casting numbers for the heads are normal for the 2.8 in a RWD application.
--
Steve W.

Motor mounts align up too?

Bill wrote:

The 2.8 came in two flavors. The FWD block is different than the RWD block. They will not interchange. The casting number supplied matches a RWD block and the heads match what was used on the 84-88 2.8 engines in a RWD application.
--
Steve W.