Duramax during the Winter

I am considering putting a grill cover on my truck to restrict the air flow into the Duramax's radiator during the winter months.

I would like to know if you consider this a good idea or a bad idea?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sorry, but that's a bad idea - it doesn't get near cold enough here in Florida!

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I would have to agree. Its only been in the 30s a few times in the past weeks here in SoCal.

However, if you are > Sorry, but that's a bad idea - it doesn't get near cold enough here in > Florida!

Reply to
Trey

In most cases you don't want to do this because not only do you restrict the air flow to the radiator but also to the intercooler, trans cooler and so on. So I would talk to you local service manager and see what he says.

mark

Reply to
r_d

I hadn't considered the intercooler, transcooler, etc. But, in your opinion, is there an outside temp that would override this concern and justify a grill cover?

I have found that changing the air flow (inside the cab heater) from fresh air to recirculate dramatically reduces the amount of time it takes the engine to reach normal operating temps. I also use my engine heater for a couple of hours before I leave in the morning. This not only makes starting faster, but also makes my wife more comfortable. I'd say the second reason is probably more important.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I can answer you question because I don't use a grill cover but I would talk to your service manager and see what he says. I had read a post on the Ford group that a guy said he had to pay for a new trans, the dealer said he fried it by restricting the flow to the rad with a cover, but Ford goes out of their way to not pay warranty claims...so take that with a grain of salt. I guess you will have to let your common sense be your guide and make sure there is some air flow. You can get yourself a heavy duty timer, plug the block heater into it and set it to turn on 3 hours before you are scheduled to leave (4 hours if it is in the 10's) and you will find that the engine will be warm enough to start easily and give you heat with in 10 or so minutes.

good luck, mark

Reply to
r_d

Apples & oranges time... a couple of guys in the Dodge group use them on their Cummins... at least one of them is a Cryco tech..

Reply to
mac davis

Did you look at the owners manual? It recommends use only if the temperatures are 0F or below and the temperature is not expected to be above

32F, and you are not towing a trailer. The cover is normally sold only in Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin & Wyoming
Reply to
ABC

On Dodge Cummins trucks we have had no problems covering the bottom half of the radiator in the cold winter months (late Dec, Jan, Feb, March) when the outside temp is near or below freezing) The tranny cooler is on the top half and both the radiator and intercooler take up the whole grill so this allows cooling too the three of them. I don't know how the Chevys are set up but if you look and can identify everything I think you will be ok as long as the tranny cooler has air flow. (also remember you may have power stearing/brake pump cooler and engine oil coolers in there somewhere also.

Reply to
Brian

Let me say this...its a Factory option from GM on their Duramax trucks here in NH... I use one on my '94 K3500 6.5 during the winter because I have a 10 minute commute...so it warms up faster but no hard driving for the heat to bother it....if your temp is around 32 all the time i wouldnt bother, if it approaches 10 to 0 or under alot I would without question buy one.

Reply to
xeonpro