Duramax Engine Heater

Does anyone know what the power draw (watts) is on the Duramax engine heater? I want to use a timer to turn the heater on at the desired time & I need to know how robust a timer I should buy.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If its a standard three prong plug, they are limited to 15 amps. (~1600-1800 watts) and from what I hear, they pull every last watt they can. For the sake of saving the timer, I would have the timer triger a relay with a contact rating of 20 amps minimum. Its something I have always wanted to build, but never had a use for such a "heavy duty" timer.

Reply to
Trey

Get one that's rated for an air conditioner. May be hard to find this time of year though.

Reply to
Repairman

As Trey pointed out, three-prong limits it to 15 amp max. You can purchase "heavy duty" appliance timers rated up to 15 amp -- make sure it's three-prong, don't try to rig up two-prong with a grounding wire....

Reply to
Franko

This might do the trick

Or,

I am still not a fan of the "tight tollerences" that are used these days in terms of what will technically fit through a wire. Most extention cords are not big enough to run at the posted load. We have a little Black and Decker leaf blower that I use and the extention cord gets warm after a few minutes of use. Not a good sign.

Reply to
Trey

Here we go!!! Hard wire this beast to an outlet and your set! ......... Oh, never mind the Links are not working correctly.

Ref my first link posted.

(Internet/Catalog # 326850 Store SKU# 497436)

my second idea, with a hard wired outlet.

(Internet/Catalog # 163047 Store SKU# 194948)

Looks like

are the folks for timers

Reply to
Trey