Dying fuel pump?

1990 Chevy k1500 5.7. 156k miles. I had some starting problems a while back, I isolated the problem to the fuel pump loom connector or the fuel pump itself. I attached a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel filter and sometimes when I'd turn the ignition, I'd get no pressure. Other times I'd get a good consistent reading. I ended up cleaning the connector and the wiring to the ground at the frame, and for 4 days it ran fine with no problems. When it failed to start again, I rechecked everything, had voltage leaving the fuel pump relay, but no pressure. I opened the gas cap and banged on the tank to see if that helped, nothing. Finally I was able to get it to start while I bounced the truck up and down, it sputtered a bit and then fired up, and it's fired up ever since (4 days and counting). I went off-roading a month ago and hit some pretty steep inclines/declines and bumps and am wondering if crud broke loose in the tank and is floating around wreaking havoc. Or am I just looking at a dying fuel pump? I'm working on emptying the tank so I can drop it and take a look inside. I use Chevron Techron Fuel Injection cleaner every tune up, and am wondering if theres anything out there that might address more potent crud in the gas tank? Or should it be cleaned out professionally? If my tank is fairly clean, and have full access to the fuel pump, is there any way to do a complete check to make sure it's not dying? I'm not to clear on the mechanics of the pump, which is why I ask. I was even thinking of, once the tank is out and away, having an access port/door cut into the truck bed so I can easily access the pump at a later time.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
JQ

Your problem is in the fuel tank pump unit. Look at the conector at the top of the unit where the wires pass through to the outside of the tank. The conector will have a dark area where it got too hot.Replace it all.

Reply to
GM Master Tech.