E85 Help

Page 1 of 2
My Girlfriend has a 02' Taurus that can run E85.She said it`s cheaper,but what are the pros and cons of it? I told her not to run it until I find some more info.
I have no idea about this fuel.
Thanks, Bill

Pros are it's 85% ethanol...con is less btu's. Corn is easy to grow, dinosaurs are not.

Pros are, its cheeper, burns cleaner Cons are, not as far on a gallon of E85 than gas, less hp, some vehicles have rough starts, more corrosive on engine parts.
If I were you I would stick with gas, unless gas gets 4 bucks a gallon and e85 is only 2
And next time post to a Ford newsgroup. Why would you want a Taurus anyways! Get a cobalt or Malibu, or Impala

He needed some GOOD advice.

I think there was a discussion on this subject a month or so ago. Had more than just opionions.

Did you not read the whole thing? I was posting to the group about E85 not about the Taurus.
Actually it`s been a great car for her. She bought it used with 13,000 miles,and now has almost 50,000 on it. She hasn`t done one repair to it yet. Not even brakes. Its not the 24v cuz those suck. Just the plain old 3.0
I don't know for sure, but I believe a vehicle has to be specially prepped for E85, special components, timing, etc. Alcohol is corrosive to softer metals and standard fuel lines.

Alchol is not corrosive but the water it can carry can be. It can be hard on seals and hoses too. Also because of it much lower energy content you will get a lot less MPG with it and it would not be a goos fuel in a cold cilmate either. I also question what you are saving because it takes fule to grow the grain it is made from and you nead a lot more of it to go the same distance as gas will.
Shades wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Bill- QMJ wrote:

A ball park figure is about 30 to 40% less MPG based the the lower energy content of the fuel.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

You are completely amazing. When I dis mil spec circuit modules for military use that I prototyped we used acho; to clean the circuit board before and after soldering the traces and the NASA spec for high reliabilty solding calls for boards to be wash with achol too. If it pure alchol was the slightest bit corrosive, they would not have used it but I guess you know more than the engineers. If it seem a speak against you it is only because you do not have your fact straight a lot, not because I have it in for you because when I respond I do not even consider who posts it but it appears that you do.
Shades wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

The particular alcohol you use to wash the circuit board is ALLOT different than the alcohol used to power a vehicle! Ethanol is essentially the same thing as Moon-Shine! Think about it!

Moon-Shine, HELL YEAH I've seen that shit burnt what a wonderful blue flame.....And I've drank it, WOW
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

...yea...puts Everclear to shame and REALLY raises the octane rating of gas! That's why the moon-shine runners were always so fast...always working on the engines to...LOL!

Maybe I need to starting buying my "gas" from my Uncle Ted ;-)
He has this 500 gallon tank out back behind his place that he said "could be used in pasturizing milk...or for something else..."
Heh heh heh...
~jp
Ship some up this way...I would like to run some in my Bike...though it probably would get eaten alive!