E85 Help

Page 2 of 2
Her car is set up to run this. I should have said that. Sorry!

If it is set up to run E85 then it would be best to run E85. I would be more worried about NOT running E85 in it!

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

more
Actually, cars that are set up for E85 from the factory, can use either.
Dave

If the car was designed for E85, no worries. The only caveat would be that it will clean any varnish out of the tank and lines which will end up in the filter. If she's been using 10% ethanol regularly, it shouldn't be a problem since it prevents varnish buildup. I usually use the 10% ethanol and I've noticed no decrease in mileage between that and regular gas. With E85, I'm sure mileage would decrease, but I'm not sure how much. Try it and see.
Dave
It is cheaper and burns cleaner then other fuels plus it's renewable. The mileage per gallon drop though, I can't remeber if because there's a loss of compression or if it's something else. Doug

It's the lower BTU's. Less energy per drop (or whatever), so you have to pump more of it in, to get the same power out.
Much like an alky dragster. Less BTU's in alky vs. gasoline, so your jets need to be HUGE in comparison to get the power out. (yes, there's far more to it than that.... but...)

...far more...but very good point about fuel consumption. In every vehicle I ever tried Gas-Ohol in, I always noticed a drop in MPG...even just a point...but always seemed to drop. I never crunched the numbers to see if the small cost savings outweighed the small decrease in MPG.

Doug aka Skippy wrote:

    Alcohol Engines require a higher compression ratio then gasoline engines to run efficiant. 14 to 1 up to 18 to 1 compression ratios for a alcohol engine are what would be considered "Normial" ranges. Where as a Gasoline 7 to 7.7 to 1 up to 12 to 1 are considered normial ranges, depending apon the engine. Charles
It has a lot less heat energy per gallon of it (about 30% less) and heat energy drives a IC engine.
Doug aka Skippy wrote:

--

www.thesnoman.com
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:14:34 -0400, chvy fan wrote:

origanally equiped for it if not it will dry out and crack the seals and o rings in the fuel system
If the vehicle is not designed to run with E85 it will not run correctly as it will not put out the proper fuel/air ratio.