E85 In My Truck

I was wondering if I could run E85 in my 99 Jimmy 4.3 v6

If your system was designed for it, there should be a sticker near your gas cap. It would also say in your owners manual. Just an FYI using E85 does NOT save you money. While the cost per gallon is lower, the efficiency is lower. So you buy more E85 to go the same distance as you would with regular gas. Then add in you are refilling more frequently. We ran head to head tests with my future father-in-law's minivan earlier this Summer and the E85 on average cost slightly more to use in the same conditions.
Big Chris
Adam wrote:

I know that E95 isnt more efficient, but it would be nice to change just to save the environment a little atleast.
BTW my jimmy dont have any stickers near the gas cap and it dont have an owners manual with it.

You must have a flexible fuel vehicle. I'm not really up to par on ethanol vehicles but the basics are the vehicle must have the sensors to determine the amount of ethanol so that the computer can adjust the timing and fuel injection. E85 can contain as much as 85% ethanol. If your vehicle isn't set up to run that much ethanol it will cause problems. I tried a 20% blend and it caused me trouble

I was thinking of trying E10, which is 90% gas and 10% ethanol, but it isnt available here yet

In Minnesota it has been mandated that all gasoline is at least E10 unless it's premium labeled for collector vehicles only.
well I am in indiana and there is only one gas station in the state that even has E85, I guess we are behind in things..

Here in Iowa we sell ethanol at every station and it's label as premium because it's 91 octane. It's 15 % ethanol adn 85% gas. I have never heard of a 10 % blend. You can go to www.e85fuel.com and see if your vehcile is listed. I doudt if a 96 is but who knows without looking. Don't put E85 in a vehcile that isn't able to burn it because it causes series problems. Doug

Actually, 65% of all gasoline sold in Iowa is 10% ethanol. Also it is labeled as mid-grade 89 octane. I have never seen ethanol in premium gas, nor have I ever seen 15% ethanol sold in Iowa.
Dave
I hate to tell you are wrong but I will. I work in the fuel business. What I stated is true with a little research you find the info for yourself. Doug

http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_3a.html
Scroll down to "Iowa and Ethanol". One of us is wrong, and it ain't me.
Dave
sure you can run it in your truck not sure why you would want to e85 gets less mpg and less power and get ready to replace all the seals in your fuel system as the alcohol will dry and crack them leaving you with leaks and service engine light on
chvy fan turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

For the pure and simple reason that it isn't purchased from terrorists like the Saudis or Nigerians or Venezuelans.
(Actually Hugo isn't a terrorist....
....yet.)

government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and