Earlier post about starting, there is more

Previously I posted this:

"This is an '85 K5 6.2L diesel Blazer. Both batteries are very new.

Now backing up a bit. In the winter when temps linger around 28-40 overnight on the average, every morning on my way to work when I turn the ignition and then the glow plug light is supposed to come on, it most of the time didn't. I would have to pop the hood and poke at the switch a bit and then it would come on. But because the switch didn't turn on or whatever causing the light not to come on, it would turn, but not turn over and start.

So now that temps are fine, it seems that for the last couple of months or so, every now and then when I go to start the truck, it turns strong, I can smell fuel being supplied, but it doesn't turn over. Most of the time it does. Especially in the mornings when the engine is cold. My understanding is that every time you turn the key on a diesel, that the glow plug switch has to do something.. Well sense the batteries are strong, and I think it is getting fuel filter has been changed recently too), my guess is that the switch is messing things up for me. What are you folks thoughts on this?

A while back during the cold months I went to Chevy parts dept. and tried to get the switch, but you can't get it anymore. A mechanic friend at one point told me to just bypass the switch. While it would do the glow plug thing everytime and maybe wear them a little bit faster, that at least that switch would be out of the way and the problem might be solved.

So if indeed the switch is the culprit, how do I bypass it safely? It is behind the throttle body by a large wiring harness.

So to conclude, could it be this causing this? What else could it be on this type of diesel? Again, fuel filter is fairly new, is good fuel, batteries are fairly new, it turns very strong until I keep turning and turning hoping it will just start.

Sorry for the long post and I hope some of you can help. Thanks much."

But I think some are confusing the switch by the firewall with the controller on the manifold. I am curious which one you folks might think it is with the problems announced. To add a little more, if I turn the truck off for a bit and go to start it, it is fine. It is just when it is cooler, but not too cool that this happens. I believe the switch by the firewall reads the temperature of the engine and decides whether the glow plugs need to come on or not. With that, it makes me curious if it is that or the controller. So what do you think? Thanks much for your help so far.

Reply to
Mark G.

So I should add or at least make clear, that there is not only the controller, but that switch on the back by the firewall and the large wiring harness. And as that original email said, I can get the glow plug controller fairly easily, it is that switch that I couldn't get.

So hopefully I will hear some more from you folks. Again, sorry for the long post.

Reply to
Mark G.

Anyone?

understanding

Reply to
Mark G.

Is the glow plug controller the same as a control/timer module? If not, then I think that is what I am referring to sort of behind the air filter. So can anyone provide more info?

Reply to
Mark G.