EGR valve 94 blazer 4x4

4.3 vortec, vinW 190k after replacing the EGR valve twice in 8 weeks, my "mechanic" says the carbon causing the valve to stick is an "issue" with high milage vortecs. Is there a
fix for this that doesn't involve tearing down the engine? I'm beginning to wonder about this guy, since he sold me the truck in the first place. thanx WARNING: THIS IS A DARK RIDE !
Yes, it is an issue. Have your mechanic get GM's top engine cleaner (I think that's the name), or find Seafoam. This will clean the top end of the engine without teardown. Also, have your mechanic look into service bulletins on your truck, there's one that covers this problem, the fix is replacing the valve and the EPROM.
On 25 Jun 2003 06:46:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (UeBklyn) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (UeBklyn) wrote in message

Dear UeBklyn, I have a 1994 s10 4.3 vortec as well, and have had the same problem. I found an interim fix that seems to work. I pulled my EGR valve out, and placed a small piece of stainless steel screen between the valve and the engine. The carbon is a continuing problem, and will keep stopping the EGR from actuating correctly. The screen needs to be stainless due to corrosion and heat from the exhaust. It seems to work well, since any small pieces of carbon pass though the EGR anyway. There were as many as 10 different EGR valves used on those darn vortecs, and chevy didn't seem to get their act together very well. Mine failed 3 times before i got ticked off and did the screen thing. I hope the info helps a bit.
M Russon
There is a site online that has made a gasket for this problem. http://www.tomco-inc.com/ It has the screen already on it. However you can also do it yourself. I made up a screen for mine that goes as deep as possible into the manifold and tapers out to the port and is then sandwiched between two gaskets. With the long reach screen the carbon chunks collect but there is still a lot of room for exhaust to get through. It is really a poor design though.
--
Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,

beginning