EGR Valve on 1994 Chevey Blazer 4x4 with Vortec 4.3 l

Could somene tell me how easy is to replace the EGR valve on the 1994 Chevy Blazer with 4.3 l Vortec engine. Daughter got it checked at the dealer and verdict is EGR valve and O2
sensor. I will see the truck next weekend.
Ziggie
I changed both the EGR and O2 sensor on my 94 in August. The EGR valve is fairly easy to remove with only 2 bolts facing the front of the engine. It's a little trickier to replace because you can't reach two hands in to hold the valve while you replace the bolts. But, still not difficult. The valve has a wiring connector on it. The replacement valve I bought was made with the little click tab on the connector on the wrong side. I had to break off the click tab and fasten the connector with a length off wire. Double check the connector when you buy it or be prepared to do some inventive rigging. I had more trouble with the O2 sensor. Hard to see on top of the pipe and hard to reach without burning yourself. Hope this helps.
What code did you get on the EGR? They are notorious for getting stuck partially open by a small chunk of carbon that comes up through the manifold. The valve itself is REAL easy to change, I got so good at pulling and cleaning the one on my wifes '94 that I could have it in and out of the shop in under 20 minutes. The symptoms of one stuck a bit open are very rough idle and sometimes stalling when idling, BUT higher RPM operation shows no real difference. If you clear the codes and then start the engine the code usually doesn't return till you let the rpms drop to idle speed. As for the O2 sensor they can be difficult to remove if they are original, then the new one just screws in.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY
Steve W. wrote:

My 94 did the same thing. I changed the EGR valve but within a week the problem returned. Ended up pulling the manifold and hot tanking it. No more problems in over a year.                                                         Remo

I cheated and picked up a gasket from http://www.tomco-inc.com/ and no trouble since. My temporary fix was to install a modified Heli-Coil to block the carbon.
--
Steve Williams