EGR Valve on a 93 silverado

I was driving down the highway yesterday with the cruise on and my engine light came on. This normally happens about once a month or so and stays on for a minute or so and then goes back off again. Everything seems and sounds fine so I don't worry about it.

Well yesterday, the light came on and stayed on longer than usual and when coming off the highway and downshifting ( automatic ) it would 'jerk' on me as it did so and rev high for a second or 2 before actually switching the gears. Starting from a stop and heading down a local road it did the same thing as I was cycliung through the gears..... revved high and jerked before switching gears.

I brought it to the garage and when he went in to check the system out and turned the truck on, the engine light was off. I explained the situation to himand he mentioned that it was the EGR valve that was more than likely causing the problem.

He suggested in popping off the hose and plugging it with a bolt if it happens again. My question is this...

Would doing so cause any other problems with the truck? mostly concerned about mileage..

1993 silverado sportside 350 V8 automatic

thanx

Mike

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil