Electrical short continues- need advice

OK- I've read replies to posts on finding shorts in circuits so let me say up front: I don't know how to use an ohmmeter or any other electrical meter
to find a short. :-)
My truck: 1990 K1500 5.7L, Long bed, standard cab (According to the previous owner, truck had body work on the left side of the front end- he claims there was no short prior to the body work. I'm not sure I believe him as several other things weren't true!)
Symptoms: (1) When parking/headlight switch is OFF: All lights work EXCEPT the ashtray, radio and climate control lights will flash in sync with the left turn signal when it is used.
(2) If the parking/headlight switch is ON: (a) the left turn signal light on the dash stays on (no flashing) and (b) the taillight turn signal bulb stays on and (c) when used, the left turn signal does not flash
I've done the following without success or change in symptoms: (1) Removed the left taillight housing checked all the wiring (2) Removed the trailer wiring completely (3) Removed the grill and checked all the wiring in the front headlight/ parking/turn signal sockets (4) Dismantled the steering column and replaced the turn signal switch (5) Traced all the wiring through the steering column to the radio, climate control, ashtray- no visible problems (6) Disconnected the parking/headlight switch and the dash dimmer switch from the wiring harness (7) Filed and reattached the ground wires at the front (behind the headlight) and the rear (attached to the frame) (8) Replaced the turn signal and flasher fuses/units just in case
Very frustrating! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for ANY helpful advice!
Tim Bluff City, TN, USA

meter
not
This sounds like a bulb with a dead short in it. Have you replaced any of the blinker bulbs (on the corners of the truck)? The rest - I can't help you with, I'd have to be there.
GMC Gremlin

climate
advice!
See if you can isolate the problem as being in the cab or in the front of the truck that was repaired. Obviously the parking light circuit is shorted with left turn signal. Like Gremlin said make sure its not a shorted bulb(or incorrect bulb),disconnect all left turn signal bulbs and see if turn signal light(dash) still stays lit when you turn on parking lights. If still does then you know its pinched wires or other problem. Open hood, on left fender(your right side when looking under hood) look for black wire loom with about 5 or 6 wires in it , it runs from fire wall to headlight along left fender(should be right there). Grab the loom close to the firewall as you can so you can still comfortably inspect/test/cut the wires, find dark brown wire(normal thickness 18g) it is parking light wire, goes to +12volts when you turn on parking lights, use test light or volt meter to find correct parking light wire(dark brown). When you have found the correct brown wire cut it, and see if the turn signal light on dash goes off. If does go off then you know trouble is under hood in that wire loom somewhere, if no change then you know the trouble is from the firewall back and you have to keep searching.(don't forget to rejoin brown wire)...Good luck Rico

meter
not
climate
advice!
Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I hadn't checked for a shorted bulb so I will start there. I have checked the loom for visibly broken wires but haven't actually cut one. I'll give that a try after checking the bulbs. I know they all flash when the headlight switch is off, but it sounds like the easiest thing to do first is to double check the bulbs!
I'll get back to you- Thanks, again!
Tim Bluff City, TN

shorted
bulb(or
signal
as
+12volts
somewhere,
Rico
Thanks Rico and Gremlin!
I looked at the left front turn signal bulbs as you suggested- that was the corner that was hit and the previous owner reported that the problem started after the accident.
When I removed one of the two yellow bulbs, I cleaned up the socket a bit and found one of the two little round tabs that are usually on the bottom of the bulb laying across the contacts at the bottom of the socket. Apparently, the previous bulb in that socket was broken in the accident and that little round tab had broken off. I removed it and now everything s fine. (Except for the hours I spent tryng to find the problem! At least now I have experience in taking apart a steering column and dashboard!)
Thanks again! Tim Bluff City, TN USA