emissions in New York

My Chevy is approaching 25 years and in New York it is going to be exempt from having to pass the emissions test - My questions is - does this allow me to remove any or all of the existing emissions equipment - I would like to replace the stock carb with another one - and remove some other emission controlled gadgets to try and get some extra performance -

Reply to
don

Shep

Nothing about 25 year old vehicles being exempt from emissions in the inspection regs. However it does state that any emissions device that was original equipment must be present and operational regardless of age. Many of those are items on the visual inspection list and if they are missing you fail.

PCV - 1968 and up Cat. Con. - 1975 and up Fuel inlet restrictor - unleaded fuel vehicles EGR - 1973 and up Thermostatic air cleaner Air injection System Gas Cap Evap Canister MIL light function - 96 and up

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well this is what I"m reading form the NYS website - but it does ot say if the gadgets have to remain on the vehicle

motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-poweredvehicles?

These motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles:

a.. Vehicles that are less than two model years old, or more than 25 model years old (for example, a 1975 model in 2001). b.. Diesel-powered vehicles 8500 lbs. or less and Diesel-powered vehicles

Reply to
don

Reply to
Shep

Yes I read what you and Steve posted - you asked me "Why do you think 25 years is a cut off for emissions requirements?" and Steve stated "Nothing about 25 year old vehicles being exempt from emissions in the inspection regs."

Again let me quote from the NYS website " These motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles:

a.. Vehicles that are less than two model years old, or more than 25

SO when you wonder why I think 25 years is a cut off date, and Steve tells me there is "nothing" about 25 years in the regulations, I just wanted to double check your answers.

Reply to
don