emissions in New York

My Chevy is approaching 25 years and in New York it is going to be exempt from having to pass the emissions test - My questions is - does this allow me to remove any or all of the existing
emissions equipment - I would like to replace the stock carb with another one - and remove some other emission controlled gadgets to try and get some extra performance -
Why do you think 25 years is a cut off for emissions requirements? In NYS the egr must be in place from 73 up, the cat also from 75 up, pcv also must operate, obviously gas cap must be in place.

-

Nothing about 25 year old vehicles being exempt from emissions in the inspection regs. However it does state that any emissions device that was original equipment must be present and operational regardless of age. Many of those are items on the visual inspection list and if they are missing you fail.
PCV - 1968 and up Cat. Con. - 1975 and up Fuel inlet restrictor - unleaded fuel vehicles EGR - 1973 and up Thermostatic air cleaner Air injection System Gas Cap Evap Canister MIL light function - 96 and up
Steve W.
-
Well this is what I"m reading form the NYS website - but it does ot say if the gadgets have to remain on the vehicle http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect What motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles?
These motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles:
a.. Vehicles that are less than two model years old, or more than 25 model years old (for example, a 1975 model in 2001). b.. Diesel-powered vehicles 8500 lbs. or less and Diesel-powered vehicles 8501 lbs. and more registered in the NYCMA area that are required to have the emissions inspection for diesel-powered vehicles. c.. Electric-powered vehicles. d.. Motorcycles. e.. Vehicles that are registered as farm equipment or that have historical plates. f.. Homemade vehicles or custom vehicles that are registered in the Upstate Area

Didn't you read what I posted, I am a NYS licensed safety and emissions inspector. Does your vehicle fit one of these exemptions? If not then you must satisfy the guidelines posted by Steve W and myself.

-
Yes I read what you and Steve posted - you asked me "Why do you think 25 years is a cut off for emissions requirements?" and Steve stated "Nothing about 25 year old vehicles being exempt from emissions in the inspection regs."
Again let me quote from the NYS website " These motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles:
a.. Vehicles that are less than two model years old, or more than 25
SO when you wonder why I think 25 years is a cut off date, and Steve tells me there is "nothing" about 25 years in the regulations, I just wanted to double check your answers.