Engine ?

Hi all,
I am hoping for some input on doing a upper engine rebuild. I have a 383 cid small block Chevy with 100k miles. I had planned to replace it with a
big block next summer or so, but it is running ragged and feels like I have a flat cam. This motor was built for a B&M supercharger so I used their cam. Because of money I never put the supercharger on. It is however built with forged pistons, chrome Moly push rods, stainless steel valves, Cloyse double roller chain, roller rockers, etc..
My question is whether or not it would be a good idea to replace the cam, timing chain and heads (I would replace these to get the compression up from 8.2:1)? I have put a vacuums gauge on it and it used to hold steady on 12 Psi and now it is all over the place between 8 Psi and 12 Psi at idle. I would imagine the pistons are fine with them being a good forged pistons (TRW).
I would appreciate any comments, thank you.
Regards, Chuck 78' Chevy 1 Ton 4X4 Van
I think you should go ahead and get the big block and give me this one :D
Brandonb