Engine block heater wiring ....(2004 2500HD-gas)

Hi: Anybody know the correct wiring placement for my block heater cord in my truck ? This is the gas (6.0L). I've unfastened the wire loom from the frame rail and wish to know how I proceed with accessing and storing the wiring between connections....Also, when does this gas engine require/want the block heater accessory used ? What temperature ? Thanks.

Reply to
jbreen

Hi, I have never known the 110V block heater cord to be included in any part of the wiring harness or to be contained within any wire loom. The block heater is an accessory and there seems to be no right or wrong way to route the wire as there are likely as many ways as there are installers. Once a cord cracked and shorted and caused a fire but since the cord was exposed it didn't damage anything else by the time it blew the fuse. I like to keep these cords tie-wrapped to metal and away from combustibles, myself. I only plug in when the temp is going below -20ºC My 2006 Chevy truck came with a block heater cord that only passes power to the heater when the temp dips below -15ºC There must be a cord that does the same thing available from an aftermarket chain like NAPA or even WalMart

Hope that helps

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl