Engine Replacement interchangeable

Have a 1987 S10 Chevy Tahoe, 2.8 engine. Body is great, engine is weak. Have a 1989 S10 Chevy Tahoe, 4.3 engine. Body is beyond weak, engine is fantastic. Is it possible to drop the 4.3 engine into the 87
truck? Will the transmission bolt up properly? Anything else to be aware of?
Thread archive:
rancher1943 wrote:

Will the transmission bolt up properly? Nope. You will need the trans from the 89 as the bolt pattern is entirely different.

to change the fuel pump over as well depending on what fuel system the 2.8 has on it.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
rancher1943 turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Following up on what Steve said.
Yes, it is possible. However, the 2.8L engine has different bolt patterns than the 4.3L as well as a different tranny.
Since both are probably TBI you won't have to worry about electronics, but your transmission may or may not fit up.
You'd have to find if your truck has the 700R4 or even a TH200. If it is the 700R4, it might bolt up to the newer 4L60E that is/was in th 4.3L engine. (Oddly enough, I have a 4L60E in my Avalanche V8.)