Engine shut off going down the road?

Wife had the suburban she was in parking lot with engine running and the thing shuts off she restarted it and drove off and about 1/4 mile the engine
shuts off again then she calls me.When I get there maybe 15 minutes later I turn the key and it starts right up and drives fine.There was no check engine light on the only thing I found out of place was the one of the battery caps was kinda lose so snapped it back in place.Has any one had a problem like this?

Have the positive battery cable for corrosion at the battery terminal connection.
KenG
kdm wrote:

If the problem does not rectify with battery terminal cleaning, you might have an ignition module goimg out. It is usually affected most with heat conditions. It happened to me and stumped a half dozen of really good, very experienced mechanics with all kinds of test equiptment. BTW I had replaced the fuel pump the week before. The shop payed for the tow the second time, gave me the module, and only charged a diagnostic fee. It hasn't had such a problem since.

kdm wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "snapped it back in place", but the battery cable could be the culprit. Needs to be tight, whatever method yours uses to tighten, and if it's the clamp type, there's every possibility that you need to clean the terminal(s) and the inside of the clamp(s) also.
That said, I have a '94 Jeep Cherokee that was doing exactly the same thing. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor, mounted on the bell housing. Needed two long extensions, one short, a universal joint, and an eyeball on the end of my finger to replace it, but it certainly did the trick.
Love to know how this works out for you. Keep posting......
JLarsson
the part that I was referring too was the part that you would that you use too add water too the battery that I got has 2 caps that can be taking off to add water to.The connections are tight that hook up to the battery There is no corrosion around the post.It is a side post battery The battery ,connections and the alternator are new as of this past spring.

Fuel pump is starting to go bad. Had the same thing happen with a 94 Blazer. Driving along and it shut down. Wait a couple minutes and it would start up like nothing was wrong. Drive it a couple days and it would do it again. Took about a week and it died and wouldn't start. Opened the gas cap and no pump noise. The next time it quits DON'T turn off the key, coast it to the side of the road and open the gas cap. If you don't hear that pump you have the problem found. Repairing it is a different matter...... Especially if you have a full tank of fuel.....
--
Steve

"kdm" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
With no RPM's the pump relay should turn off, so you shouldn't be able to hear the pump.
Best is to listen for a few seconds when the key is turned to ignition.
Cheers

I can hear the pump running when I crank the truck up it has always made a loud whine when running .So far I have been driving the truck and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary has happened yet.If memory severs me right it has done this awhile back but then it stated right back up and I didn't give it no more thought until now.Now let me ask another ???? when the fuel pump quits does the engine make a loud thump noise are does it just stop like you just turned it off with the key??the rezone I ask is when I first got the thing the gas gage was messed up and going down the high way I heard a loud thump and the engine was dead.

Nope no loud thump. It will just die.
Loud thump sounds like a bigger problem.
--
Steve

"kdm" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Well so far I have been the one driving the truck and it is running like it should no problems what so ever.I guess when I'm going to end up taking to the gmc place and see if they can tell with any certainty of what they think the problem is. I'm pretty sure at this point what ever it is I want be able to fix it my self any ways(sigh).I would like to thank every one for there help and when/if I find out what's wrong I'll post the what they think the problem is.

Well it looks like a new fuel pump it finally stopped on me today. the pump would make make high and low whining sounds before it would shut off. I did change the fuel filter and that got me home with no more problems. Is there any hints webs sites that shows the presses of changing out the fuel pump that any one knows of?

The fuel pump is prouble located in the fuel tank, which means you'll to remove the tank.
The fuel pump is prouble located in the fuel tank, which means you'll to remove the tank.
Yea the fuel pump is in the tank, and what I'm trying to find out now is what all is involved in dropping the tank like what to do and what not to do and what to watch out for kinda things. I believe I'm capable of doing it. I just don't like going it to it blindly.

Ok tank is off now just have to put new pump in.
I would like to thank every one for there help.