Engine temp won't come up...?

Hello all,

91 Silverado, 350, Short bed.

Early this spring the side of my radiator blew out and I replaced it (same # of core radiator), the t-stat, cap and hoses. since then the thing takes a little longer to heat up (to about 195). But, once the t-stat opens up, the gauge drops to about 160 in a couple seconds and then run steady there. If I idle for a while (a few minutes) it warms a little (maybe 170), but as soon as I drive, it falls back to 160.

I burped the thing really well. I was on about a 40 degree slope and let her run for almost an hour with the cap off. There was never a time that I stuck my finger in the coolant and wasn't anything more than luke warm... I also had the cooling system flushed at a shop, twice.

Now that the weather is turning colder, it is becoming more a nuisance. I have changed the t-stat 3 times (Napa, AutoZone and Advance) with no change.

I am thinking that maybe my water pump is on the way out. My humble theory is along the line that it is not broken, but maybe only pumping say 50% of the coolant it should. This means the water is in the radiator twice as long as normal and gets cooled off more. And as I recall, there was no tremendous flow in the rad even though it did suck the water down during the burping.

And so, I ask the free flowing fountain of knowledge in the group to flow forth and flood this dry post with the liquid of insight. Thanks.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

This makes little sense, if the water was in the radiator twice as long as normal, guess where else it would be twice as long?

Go buy yourself a GM 195 degree thermostat and try to ignore your factory gauge as it's not what I would term an accurate gauge of where your temp is running. Try the factory thermostat before you get too excited about other things.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

and point an IR 'heat gun' at the thermostat housing.............

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Like the others who have responded have said, relax. If you're going by the dash gauge, it's more of a "ballpark" reading than anything else. I drive an 88' C1500 and it runs, according to the gauge, at around 150-160*. However, accoring to the CTS resistance, she's running right around 195*.

It is likely that is was running too hot before and is currently running just right.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

my factory gauge on my 92 K 1500 is about useless. new sending unit and it still reads about 150 or so when the truck is really running around 185. I've checked this with a scan tool. I would advise getting an aftermarket gauge from autometer or some other mfg.

You might be able to use the plug >Hello all,

Reply to
Elbert

I have a GM t-stat, just wanted to bounce this around the group before I went for a 4th round.

Thanks

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Good idea. That I have access to and will do.

We here at the group should pay you guys more.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Thanks Doc. BTW, I have been lurking here about 3 yrs on and off. I was wondering... Why "Doc?"

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

That's an interesting idea... Thanks.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

I'm a cardiovascular surgeon. "Doc"tor................

In all honesty, with my profession 90% of the people I meet in both work and personal environments just assume I'm a medical doctor because of the "ologist" at the end. This has earned me the nickname "Doc" amongst my friends, more as a playful jab at the fact that I'm NOT a medical doctor than anything else, he he he.

The quotation marks make sense now right?

Figured it would make a good usenet handle............................................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

meet

Well, now I know... Bet that's interesting work. And yes I know what that is, but I had to look it up to be certain I was right:-)

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

I started in the field of experimental psychology, moved to chronic diseases and am now working primarily with infectious diseases, although I am currently dabbling in a few cancer studies as well. Yes, it is very interesting, especially the infectious diseases which are lots of fun to track down in outbreak situations.

Remember the huge Hepatitis A outbreak in PA/OH last November, tied to green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaraunt? It made national news so you might have caught wind of it, biggest Hep A outbreak the US had ever seen (over 700 primary cases). Yours truly was the lead epidemiologist for Ohio..............hell, you might have seen me on CNN! ;-)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Shit!

Royalty in AA4X4 Chevy Trucks?

I humble in your presence Sir!

Refinish King

that the agent is non-fatal> to track down in outbreak situations.

Reply to
Refinish King

. . ==== ==== snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc) writes: . I started in the field of experimental psychology, moved to chronic diseases and am now working primarily with infectious diseases, although I am currently dabbling in a few cancer studies as well.

Yes, it is very interesting, especially the infectious diseases which are lots of fun to track down in outbreak situations.

Remember the huge Hepatitis A outbreak in PA/OH last November, tied to green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaraunt? It made national news so you might have caught wind of it, biggest Hep A outbreak the US had ever seen (over 700 primary cases).

Yours truly was the lead epidemiologist for Ohio..............hell, you might have seen me on CNN! ;-)

Doc ====== ====== Hey Doc, I know yer a busy dude..... could yuh spare a sec to take a look at this warty, pimply thing i got going on here on my arse.....

ever seen a thang like this Doc......??

should i keep using this tobbaccer juice and moss on it.....??

:)

~:~ marsh ~wonders if "ole doc" has access to any of that "medicinal" marryjerwonna....strickly fer medicinal purpose's of course~ ===== =====

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Marsh, could ya post a link to a pic here on the ng so we can ALL take a look? He he he he.

Well that all depends, If it's a hairy, warty, pimply thang, chew juice and moss will just make it angry. Usually a haircut will make it happy and go away............

If it's a non-hairy, warty pimply thang, I'm sorry, you only have 3 days to live.

So both you and your warty buddy can get baked!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Royalty? Nah. I'm the flavor of the month every now and then when there is a large-scale disease outbreak. Other than that I'm a nobody.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

LOFL!

Marsh, yer a funnay guy!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

LOFL!

Doc, yer a funnay guy too. But Marshy would have to post his head to show us his butt!

Refinish King

PS Posting his butt would show his face, then we'd all know who he is!

Reply to
Refinish King

The flavor of the month?

I bet the women "LOVE" you?

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

that the agent is non-fatal> to track down in outbreak situations.

Wow! I'm the man who (sorta) knows the man! I do remember that. Good work.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy