Engine Transplant

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever, or know anyone that has, put a Pontiac engine into an early model GMC/Chevy truck? If so, any recommendations for the transplant, i.e.
headers, engine mounts?
no, but a guy brought me a Ford 1/2 ton a couple years for a transmission OH
I looked it up and all the books said 'C-6', when it got here it had a 400 Pontiac and Turbo 400 in it

early

Hum a "Frank-in-ford".... Sound like he was a closet GM person to me... :-) mark
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:05:51 GMT, "TranSurgeon"

back in HS I had a '78 Ford F100 that i swapped in a '72 Olds 350.. it was fun until I blew up a couple 3 speeds and a 4 speed... gave up on it when I broke the pinion in the 9"
-Bret

That's what happens when you put a real motor in a Ford.
Bret Chase wrote:

nah,
it's what happens when you start out with a 200,000 mile 6 cyl truck and drop a muscle car engine into it... things will break.
-Bret

Bret Chase wrote:

Snippety, snippety, snip.
http://www.geocities.com/firebirdracing/photopageflag.html
350 Chev, turbo 400, hooked up to the original 9 inch Ford diff with the 4:10 gears from when the truck was a 6 with 3 on the tree. It would only do 90 or so but it would do it coming out of the driveway. HeHe
I have one of those motors (1972 Rocket 350 that is)....jest awaiting the donor car to go into...........

an
transplant, i.e.

A while back, when I was still in highschool, I put a 6.2L diesel and TH400 into a '75 F250. Put some true dual straight-pipes on it. Some of the confused looks I got at stoplights and in parking lots were priceless... ;-) Had the original 4.10 gears still in it... that truck was a pullin' machine. Got 18-19 MPG too!
-Tony

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

Anything can be done. Some late 50's GMC trucks actually came from the factory with Pontiac engines.
Dennis Smith
October's Car Craft had a 1955 Ford truck with a late modle 5.7 Hemi in it, so anything is possible.
says...

early
i.e.
My cousin's swap list from the 60's:
Red Ram Hemi - 50 Ford pickup 318 V8 - 1956 Mercury 392 Hemi - 57 Chevy convertible 354 Hemi - 1951 Crosley Caddy V8 - 1961 Impala SS (BUTCHER!) Buick V8 (nailhead) - Metropolitan 409 Chevy - 57 Buick Century
It only takes a big hammer to make anything fit into anything.

It was a whole lot of fun helping my Dad grease a 350 into an old Willey's jeep....
--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.
"Hank" < snipped-for-privacy@arlen.com> wrote in message
BOP/Caddy/Pontiac engines can go into a chevy truck. You need to modify the front cross member, and move the motor mounts. 500cid.com I believe makes headers for them. Or you can get an adapter flange for chevy big block headers. They make adapters to go from BOP engines to chevy trannies, and from chevy trannies to BOP trannies. They also make the "ultra bell" which replaces the stock transmission bell, and can bolt up to either a chevy or a BOP.
GMC Gremlin

early
John wrote:

With an electric welder, a torch, and a set of tools, you can do nearly anything. I had a friend that put a 428 Super Duty into a 63 Chevy one ton Tow Truck. It could almost beat my 66 GTO in the 1/4 mile.

Define early? Old GMC trucks had Pontiac V8's from the factory. It was later on when they switched to Chevy engines.
Al

i.e.
later
The 67-72 models.

IIRC, the '67-72s came with a 250/292 I6, the big 305 V6 or a SBC.... though my memory is a bit fuzzy.
-Bret
John wrote:

I had a Triumph TR-7 with a chevy 350 and chevy auto tranny in it. If that can be done, anything can be.
I still remember the look on the poor Porche 911 T owners face when I blew him away.

Damn, would have liked to seen that. I do know a guy that put a 350 in a VW. He also took a Bronco Frame, mounted a Jeep body to it and took his blue printed V8 off of his mustang he race in NH and put that in it. 402? He called it a BEEP.
Every see a 4x4 do wheelies?