Engine Transplant

Page 2 of 2
Craig Watts wrote:

It was fun, to be sure. only mod that could be seen from the outside was a small hood scoop to accomodate the carb/air filter. O, it had the chevy rear-end in it too - a 4:11 I believe. Didn't go that fast, but it sure got there in a hury.

Its old but I cant resist. Triumph actually had a model called TR-8, its was the same as a 7, but you guessed it, it had a V-8 under the hood. A step further, there was an MGB-GT that came with a V-8, 2 production years only. Tight fits I have built, besides a dozen or so V-8 Vegas, 71 pinto wagon with a 351 Cleveland, the hardest one, probably the 74 Plymouth arrow we shoe-horned a 340 into while stationed in Germany. Most fun, after the Vegas of course, the 85 S-10 pick-up put a 472 caddy in, and my favorite, after the Vegas of course, the 1973 Chevette Scooter we put a super-charged Buick 3.8 and a 700R-4. Narrowed a 10 bolt out of an S-10 with 3:83 gears. A chevette that would pull the front wheels off the line, run an 1/8 mile in 6.9, and gets 20 in town, 28 on the highway.
But to get to your needs, check out http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html . Whitelightning

General motors put Pontiac engines into early model GMC trucks when they were manufactured. From the time they came out until about 1957 or so. Originally, that's what a GMC was. It was a Commercial grade Chevy truck with a Pontiac engine (because Chevy didn't use pressure lubrication, and Pontiac did).
Kudos to John for not asking the stupid question ("is it possible to put a Pontiac engine into a pickup truck") that was actually answered. He's too smart for that. He knows a dozen people wnet to the moon. His actual question is if anybody knows anybody that did it.
Unfortunately, he didn't say what he meant by "early model". To me, an early model Chevy truck would be a 1930 model. Luckily, the engine swap is almost the same up until the 1950's. Sadly, he might actually have a 1984.
There are two problems with the early model: 1. The torque tube drive shaft cannot be monkeyed with. Most folks opt to change the rear end. You could, if you wanted to, try to keep the orignal transmission and adapt it to the engine. I have not done that. 2. The old trucks had motor mounts all the way in front, instead of under the belly of the engine. You'll need to put a crossmember under the engine to support it. I have done that.
There isn't a lot of variety with Pontiac oil pans, but as tall as the old trucks are, I think you'll be able to get enough clearance. Slide the engine back far enough to get the oil pan behind the front axle, as far as you can.
If you have the old tube drive shaft/rear end you can take the tailshaft off the 6cyl 53 - 54 Powerglide and install it on the back of a V-8 Powerglide 55-57 (Different engine bolt pattern between the 6 & 8 bellhousings) It may be possible to get a B O P 49 -54 tailshaft to line up to a Hydramatic of newer vintage but not sure of this application. Remembering the '50's
Steve

X-No-archive:yes Re: > "Has anyone ever, or know anyone

This subject is discussed in Moses Ludel's "Chevrolet and GMC Light Truck Owners Bible" page 310. This book is G.M.Part No.12363286