EVO sensor

Ian, Doc, or anyone; My wife's 97 Yukon has a steering problem in that sometimes during a right hand curve at about 35 mph the steering effort increases slightly then decreases enough to make her a little uncomfortable driving the truck. I can feel it sometimes and at first thought it was something similar to when one of the axle U-joints on my 87 K5 got stiff, although it doesn't dive to the side like the K5 did. The local shop had it on a lift and checked the front end, but found nothing wrong. I read the thread about a bad EVO sensor and am wondering about a simple test I could do. If there is such a test, where do I find the sensor and aprox how much would a new one be in US dollars? Thanks, JR

Reply to
JR

"JR" wrote

Basically, you've done the simple test. If it feels like the steering overassists in the corners intermittantly, I would say that it's very likely that you need the EVO sensor. It is located at the base of the steering column, you need to disconnect the intermediate shaft (still inside the vehicle) and move it down just enough to be able to take the sensor off the column shaft.

I'm not sure of the price, best bet is to phone a dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian, thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into it this weekend. JR

Reply to
JR

It's a simple job, I just did my '97K2500 over the Christmas break, took about 1/2hr from start to finish. You need to remove the pinch bolt at the base of the column in the truck, then push down the shaft, then locate the three plastic fingers that hold the sensor in place and while gently prying them open, pull the sensor out..oh yeah..make sure to disconnect the little quickie elec. connector, mine was under some padded sticky stuff stuck to the side of the column right next to the sensor.. Pretty easy once you stick your head under there with a mirror and see whats going on...

Ken

Reply to
73blazer